hmbell3
Newly Registered

Has anyone ever planted a pineapple top?

I saw this mentioned in a magazine a few months back. When I finally got a pinaapple, I watched You Tube for a visual how-to. This is pretty cool. What else has anyone planted from the grocery store?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Did the pineapple, then found out it takes like 3 years to get a baseball sized pineapple out of the deal. I'd have to have 50 of em to make it worth the time and effort, and I can't bring 50 plants inside in the winter time. So I let the idea fade into the sunset. I've got bigger fish to fry in the garden.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

hmbell3 wrote:I saw this mentioned in a magazine a few months back. When I finally got a pinaapple, I watched You Tube for a visual how-to. This is pretty cool. What else has anyone planted from the grocery store?
I've got 4 of them going right now on my back porch. One is about 5 months old and stands about 3 ft. out the top of the pot and the other 3 are much newer and a lot smaller.

What I do is twist the green leafy top off the pineapple, trim some of the lower leaves and cut the bottom on the greenery until you see small brown dots in the stem. This is where the roots will emerge from. I'll then stick it in a coffee cup with enough water to cover the bottom portion of the cutting. It takes about 2 weeks before small roots will appear, then I plant it in potting soil and keep it well watered until it takes root-------usually about a week or so.

Not sure if I will ever harvest a pineapple off it, but it is an attractive plant, but it does have very stiff pointy leaves that will poke you if you are not careful.

Return to “All Other Fruit”