LorettaW
Newly Registered

cds in trees

Hi,

My friend at work told me that to keep the birds from eating ALL the cherries, I should hang shiny CDs and pie pans in the tree. Is there a danger of them catching fire in the bright sunshine?

LorettaW

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think so. Surely they would be shaded somewhat by the tree itself. Also, they should be cooled by the breezes. :)

However, the other day, I saw a product specifically made for this purpose. I don't recall the price, though. It's a foil-type ribbon that is designed to be hung in fruit trees. I guess you could hang it in the garden, as well. The difference is that it's holographic, which is brighter to a bird's eyes and produces a constantly moving pattern. Or so the sales pitch goes. :)

I saw it online when I was looking for the little stickers I put on my windows to keep the birds from killing themselves by flying against the glass. I've found that those, although quite expensive, do seem to work. I have to replace the ones I've had up for the past 5 years. I've collected 3 dead birds this week. :(

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

there is no danger of cds or pie plates catching fire from being in the sun.

sound quality may go down on the cds, though. :D

LorettaW
Newly Registered

Thank you Kisal and !potatoes!! I hope the cds and pie plates don't act like a prism and catch something else on fire now. Guess my username should be Worrywart!

webmaster
Site Admin

Wineries use reflective [url=https://www.amazon.com/Mylar-Flash-Tape-200-DS5020/dp/B0001IMLM6]Mylar strips for scaring away birds[/url].

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I've yet to find anything that will keep birds off cherries.
Many years ago in some of the Kent cherry orchards growers would pay young lads to ride around the orchards with motor bikes that had the baffles removed from the silencers. Still had huge losses though.
Now they all grow intensive trees that can be netted as soon as the fruit starts to swell.

pickupguy07

!potatoes! wrote:there is no danger of cds or pie plates catching fire from being in the sun.

sound quality may go down on the cds, though. :D

LOL.. Yeah if they would catch fire, I'd think they would do so when left laying on the top of the dash in the middle of summer in a car. If they are EVER going to catch on fire it is in a car with the sun beating down on it threw the windshield... so I am fairly certain you are safe.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

JONA878 wrote:I've yet to find anything that will keep birds off cherries.
Many years ago in some of the Kent cherry orchards growers would pay young lads to ride around the orchards with motor bikes that had the baffles removed from the silencers. Still had huge losses though.
Now they all grow intensive trees that can be netted as soon as the fruit starts to swell.
Same with my fig tree. If I don't get out early in the morning to pick them, the birds will pick holes in just about all that are close to ripe. Just enough to ruin the fruit but not totally eat it.

I live smack in the middle of New Orleans and one night last year when my figs were really coming in my wife ran inside to get me. She was saying my fig tree looked to be shaking so I grabbed a flashlight and went to explore. In it was a mama coon and 3 little ones and they were having a feast. One by one the babies exited the tree followed by the mom as I approached with the light. Apparently they came back later that night and ate every fig on the tree that was remotely ripe.

Return to “All Other Fruit”