sixboots

Watering watermelons

Hello again helpful people!

I've got a great crop of watermelons coming in now, and remember someone telling me that once they start growing well, I don't need to water them as much, and that if I did, they may not be as sweet. It's consistently been 95-100° here the last couple of weeks now, and my boxes are only 1 foot wide and 8 inches deep.

So, my question is, how much should I be watering them? Up until now, I've been watering them every night, as it doesn't take long at all to seem to completely dry out the soil.

As always, thanks for all of your help.

Jeremy brua

This is my first year with them. I was told to keep them moist until they are almost ripe. The closer they are to being ripe the less you should water. Cutting the water to early will make the inside of the melon crack, but to much and the melon will split. So I will use my best judgment and see what happens. There is somthing you can add to the water to make them sweeter but I will have to check my notes.

Good luck!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In that kind of heat and that tiny bit of soil, absolutely water every day, maybe even twice a day.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That is now where NEAR enough root space for a pumpkin unless you spaced them every 10-12 feet it will not get normal pumpkin sized.

Gustav
Cool Member

I used a dripper system & supplied about 2Litres of water each daybetween a mound with 4 plants.

Gustav
Cool Member

I used a dripper system & supplied about 2litres of water each day on a mound of 4 plants.

Return to “All Other Fruit”