Do you think it is a good idea to plant grapevines on their sides?

Yes
No votes
Don't know
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 2
Serendipity
Newly Registered

Does planting grapevines on their sides improve yield?

I keep reading that planting tomatoes on their sides improves yield because it encourages the plants to send out more roots. Would this theory hold true for other plants whose stems are flexible enough to right themselves, such as grapevines?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pruning grapes improves yield.

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

once they're old enough to bear, i doubt it would make any difference, or that you would actually have any more roots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes are planted deep (or sideways), because they have the property of putting out roots all along the stem. Look at a mature tomato plant. It will likely have white bumps coming out from the base of the stem. That's where it is still trying to make roots, even though the stem is not buried.

I don't think grape vines do that, therefore it wouldn't be likely to help much to bury the stem, might even encourage it to rot.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Serendipity
Newly Registered

Thanks to all for the helpful pointers!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Do not bury it it will kill the plant.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”