butterflygirlx
Newly Registered

Any advice on my first pumpkin patch?

I decided a while back I wanted to grow a pumpkin patch in my back yard, and my vision was a nice small one but I noticed as more seeds started to sprout I became a little obsessed with growing as many as I can. I've been doing pretty well considering it's my first attempt at any type of gardening. I was excited to see a few days ago my first pumpkin growing, and counted more as the days went by. I lost count on how many I have but I do have one main pumpkin that is growing very well. I read up online about putting something beneath the pumpkin to keep it from rotting by laying on wet soil, has anyone else heard this? Also things seem to be getting a bit wild, anyone know about trimming things down? I wouldn't mind cutting away excess vines or leaves I just don't want to leave my patch prone to infection by bugs that can get into the vine. Any advice on how to make sure my pumpkins don't rot or advice on trimming away would be most helpful.

[img]https://i50.tinypic.com/bjig0k.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i46.tinypic.com/xkvosy.jpg[/img]

Thank you

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You can trim them all you want with no ill effects. I have always grown my pumpkins vertically so I do not know about placing something under them.

butterflygirlx
Newly Registered

Do you have any advice on exactly how to trim them, as far as what tool is best to use? Where on the vines to trim them? I'm a little scared to because I have a few pumpkins growing very nicely and I don't want to kill them. I've been obsessed with my pumpkin patch since I started it, and I would be crushed if I ended up killing them. :cry:

Dannyforts
Newly Registered

My aunt grew a pumpkin patch for her first time a while ago. I know she got all her facts from just researching different sites. but it turned out great so I'm sure yours will too

Return to “All Other Fruit”