The Bearded Farmer

Help with building Rasberry/Blackberry Trellis

Just picked up 2 varieties of Rasberry and 2 Triple Crown Blackberry plants!

I was on google looking at a million different ways of trellising them and was wondering of 8ft green T-Posts would be sufficient for the ends or if I should sink a 4x4.

New to fruit on the farm, so any advice will help!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

This is how I built my blackberry trellis. I took three 2x4x10's and placed the two outside ones 12 ft. apart and put the third one in the center for a 6 ft. span between the posts. I buried them 2 ft. in the ground to leave 8 ft. above ground. I then took four 2x4x12's and ripped them down the center to make eight 2x2x12's. I came up from the ground approximately 1 ft. and screwed the first 2x2 on the front side of the upright posts. Then I came up a foot and secured the second 2x2 on the backside of the uprights and repeated this until I reached the top.

This allows the vines to climb, gives you plenty of room to thin after the harvest and is very easy to pick the berries with all that space between horizontals. I believe I have less than $50 tied up in the entire trellis.

The Bearded Farmer

That sounds like a good plan...how many plants are on that trellis??

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The Bearded Farmer wrote:That sounds like a good plan...how many plants are on that trellis??
I started with 4 thornless blackberry plants in Jan. 2011. They are now putting out blackberries on the canes that grew this past year. There are many new canes coming up all along the trellis to replace what needs to be removed after they finish producing.

Return to “All Other Fruit”