sam.mullin
Newly Registered

Wild? Raspberries

Hello Everyone.
I am new to this forum - heck, I'm new to gardening in general.
My husband and I bought our first house last summer. We spent it indoors renovating so now we are ready to create a landscape we love.

We live in Moosonee, Ontario, Canada - long, cold winters, short hot summers.

We noticed under our front deck last year, raspberries growing. They did bear small fruit. Again this year, they started to grow so we decided to uproot some of them to grow along our fence. I'm not sure if they are wild or if the previous owner planted them at one point before putting in the deck. They were apparently avid gardeners.

So, what I'd like to know is if there is a way to tell if they are wild and if the care is different for wild raspberries over cultured ones. We have planted them in sandy soil (that's they type of soil they were growing in) and we have added manure to provide greater richness to the soil. We've taken what looks like first year sucker shoots and they are a brilliant green in colour.

Any advice you might have would be MOST beneficial!
Thanking you in advance.
Sam

Paolo@
Newly Registered

Re: Wild? Raspberries

One good way to tell if they are a wild variety is the colour, but either way they are a great crop. I wouldn't worry too much about feeding the soil with strong substances like manure - raspberries are an invasive species which will take over a space with little maintenance :)

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”