candleberry
Newly Registered

No flowers on King Ed currant

Any ideas?

I have a King Edward VII flowering currant that I planted three years ago. It flowered the first year, I moved it the second year and had no flowers (transplanted so not too surprised). This year it has had great foliage growth but no flowers again.
It is in a fairly sunny area but not too hot. Light shade morning, speckled shade early afternoon, full sun late afternoon.
My soil is not great there. It is on the acid side but I understand they like that.
Plant is about 3 ft tall.

Thats about all the info I can think to give.
Would appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks
Jen

Anonymous

What state or country are you in?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Late day full sun worries me; it's kind of like saying a lot of nothing. If something isn't getting sun between 10 and 2 o'clock, I say it's not getting any light at all! Even if the shade is only from 10 to 2 and it's getting full sun the whole rest of the time I wouldn't think it would be getting enough light to set fruit. I suspect light is your problem, but a soil test wouldn't hurt. Stay away from high nitrogen fertilizers as well; they can cause rampant foliage growth which inhibits fruiting...

Scott

candleberry
Newly Registered

Thanks Scott,
I had been thinking the same thing but I hate to move it again. The area is very bright and not what I would call cool shade.

I realized I hadn't mentioned that I have another currant in the same bed that is loaded with flowers (edible currant not ornamental) but it is just a little more exposed to direct sun earlier.

Guess it gets moved again :(

candleberry
Newly Registered

OOPS!
Must remember to say I'm in zone 7-8. Vancouver Island. Lots of rain very little snow.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If your looking for a fruit that takes a little more shade, blueberries are a good bet. Did you know that blueberries are one of the only food sources you could live on solely? Lots of heights and habits available, spring flower, summer berry, fall foliage and a striking winter form; who could ask for more in a shrub?

Return to “All Other Fruit”