sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Fruit trees not really growing, what can I do?

I planted the trees 3 years ago, they haven't really grown much at all. the pear actually grows like I would think a tree would grow. the pear actually has some good measureable growth each year. like it adds in height, the branches lengthen, it adds new branches. The 2 apples and the plum don't grow in height at all, and don't add new branches at all. they just gain like 2 inches of length of the branches each year, if that. Is this normal?? If so, when are they going to start like growing like the rest of the trees in my yard do? LOL.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Shiela.
There could be several reasons...but the one that puzzles me most is the plum.
This is because they are normaly one of the most vigorous fruit trees.

First is the soil conditions.
Waterlogged soil or soil that is compacted and restricting root growth will stunt growth.
Do you know what rootstock the apples are on? If they are on a dwarfing stock like M9 or M27 then they will be very slow anyway.

All I can suggest Shiela is to give them a good mulching to retain moisture and the odd liquid feed to give them some encouragment to start growing.
If the apples are on either of those two stocks then they will never get very large I'm afraid.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Thanks!

The apples are a redfree and a honey crisp, not sure what type of rootstock that is.

the only difference between the pear that is growing rapidly and the others, is the pear is on the other side of my driveways in the woods. we cut down some trees and I put it in there. I didn't think it was going to do well with all the tree roots there. but it is doing better than the others. now, I'm sure there are plenty of tree roots where the others are at too, we are int he woods after all...

Do you think my acidic soil is to blame?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

hi Sheila

It may well be that your soil needs a little lime added to it especially if the trees you cut down were fur trees.
They make the soil very acidic ....that's why rhodies and azalias grow so well under them.
You can buy soil testing kits very cheaply now and they will tell you exactly what the ph is in your garden.
As to the appes...those two trees are the varieties
Honeycrisp.....Macoun X Honeygold. 1992
Redfree....interesting breeding , pollen parent had just a number PR1018-101 and the seed parent was Raretan. 1971

The apples themselves though do not influence the growth that much Sheila.
All apple trees that you buy are grafted onto rootstocks. It is these that control the finished trees size. So it is this part of the tree that you need to know the number of. It should be printed on the label alomg with the variety name.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I know my soil is very acidic. I have wild blueberries growing all over my front yard. The trees we cut down were oaks actually, but there are pine trees and other evergreens all along the edge there. however, on the other side of the driveway, where the pear is doing better, it is the same scenario. I wonder if pears can handle more acidic soil??

I have a real problem with my soil here, with my garden and everything. and it harbors fungus very easily because of the acidity (favors fungus I found out). so naturally, my fruit trees all have fungus as soon as they leaf out :( I don't want to give up. I'm sure I"ll figure it out somehow. I just need to get these things growing.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote: I have a real problem with my soil here, with my garden and everything. and it harbors fungus very easily because of the acidity (favors fungus I found out). so naturally, my fruit trees all have fungus as soon as they leaf out :( I don't want to give up. I'm sure I"ll figure it out somehow. I just need to get these things growing.
She, Could you be mixing up lichen with fungus?

I never saw a new england tree with fungus.

If you want an orchard enough to buy trees, then it follows you want an orchard enough to have a soil test done, and amend your soil, as testing directs.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

not fungus like a fuzz... fungal diseases.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

when I purchased the trees from the local orchard, he told me that none of that stuff mattered and that the trees will grow anywhere in any soil. I asked lots of questions and he basically told me I was crazy and they will grow. they're a tree and trees will grow. that is how I got to this point.

Return to “All Other Fruit”