Gustav
Cool Member

What medium to use for my berries?

Ok,so the thing is that we have way too much stones around our house, so I'm building walls for raised beds. I want to plant blackberries, raspberries & blueberries (in seperate bed due to ph). Should I fill it with potting soil, topsoil or a combination of the 2?We have an organic supplier nearby where I can purchase it by the truck load. The bedding is about 10mx10m

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, stone walled raised beds. That will be beautiful.

If you know the supplier, and know that it is good quality topsoil, I'd go with mostly that. Sometimes what is sold as topsoil is pretty nasty. You could add in a little potting soil to lighten it up. Maybe 3 -4 parts topsoil to one part potting soil. And if your supplier has some good quality compost, add in one part of compost.

Gustav
Cool Member

I'll give that a try. I'll take some pics & post them as I proceed with things.
On the one hand, I'm lucky coz we built out house on a stone plate hill with a great view of the riverabout 150 metres from the house, but at the cost of not having any soil around the yard,so I have to fill everything up. Already got a lil piece of lawn & used stones & various aloe plants for a rock garden, but now I want decent beds for my berries & grapes.

Luckily we have ALOT of stones here on the farm.

Return to “All Other Fruit”