barnhardt9999

Fig on Mulberry Graft

I recently dug and potted several red mulberry saplings in adverse locations with no real plan for what to do with them. I would like to try to graft a fig to the roots.

Has anyone ever tried to graft a fig onto a mulberry rootstock? If so, please share your experience and if you can address any of my following questions, it would be appreciated. Would this end up being a RKN resistant tree? Would it result in a very large fast growing tree? Would it retain some of the cold hardiness of the mulberry?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

haven't tried it. I doubt fig limbs on a mulberry rootstock would make the fig parts any more cold-tolerant. just from the way they tend to die back to the roots when hit by a surprising cold....report back.

Gustav
Cool Member

I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is theat the rootstock & scion needs to be the same species, but can be different varieties.

I don't think that graft will work, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

barnhardt9999

They don't need to be the same species. Most of the more common grafts are the same genus although I am fairly certain that there are some examples of grafts that are only in the same family. Fig and mulberry make up the Moraceae family.

I found a couple references to the Mulberry/Fig graft but nothing seemed modern, detailed or very hands on. I am also skeptical but its worth a try if no one seems to have tried it. So crazy it just may work.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

there's a couple within-family inter-generic grafts that are relatively common, you're right. this one's not very common, though, which might speak to its success rate...but worth a try anyway. I know (also within the same family) that che fruit grafts decently well on osage orange rootstock.

Gustav
Cool Member

Ok, This pricked my interrest & since we havealot of mullberry trees on the farm, I grafted a fig scion to it to see what happens since I have nothing to lose. I will update this propably within 3-4 months when spring starts to see if the bud's popped open or not. lol

Return to “All Other Fruit”