georgiapeach
Newly Registered

planting apples near peaches

I have several sets of various types of peach trees in bloom now and would like to add apple trees that have overwintered in pots to my gardens. Do these two types of fruit trees affect each other, I have heard all types of rumor, some too silly to mention. I would like to keep the fruit trees in one area of the yard as when the fruit drop from lack of dilligent picking, it can be pretty messy. Any and all advice welcome.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I believe that peaches are under the genus prunus and apples are under the genus Malus, so they would have different physiologies and morphologies.

Plus, I've never heard of them affecting eachother negatively. Just give them ample space to grow and make sure that they don't shade eachother out.

And keep in mind whether or not you have Standard, Semidwarf or dwarf trees.

I think there is some information in the organic forum on apple guilds that would be very similar to peach guilds so, try some companion planting which will make your trees that much healthier.

And avoid planting grass around you trees because grasses compete directly with trees for water and nutrients. Plant something like clover or some other ground cover like vetch (or even better both).

And see if you local library has this book:

Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway

and give it a read. It will provide you with a wealth of information on how to keep your trees nice and healthy.

PS These trees love compost so, give them lots of it.

georgiapeach
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help. We planted late yesterday, gorgeous day, we ran out of room and had a lone tree left over. I hate waste, so it's now on its way to a scout camp for the local deer to enjoy when in fruit. I used pine needles as the ground cover and when the trees are older, I may consider clover, as I have enough of it in my lawn. Again, thanks.

Return to “All Other Fruit”