sixboots

Where are my watermelons?

Hello. I planted watermelon seeds over three weeks ago, and no sign of anything sprouting. I live in WV and it just started getting really warm (80s during the days), but only about a week and a half of sun. I've kept them watered lightly (a quick shower to moisten the top layer of soil), and planted them about 1/2 inch deep. Same for zucchini.

Shouldn't I be seeing something by now?

I planted them in Miracle Grow gardening soil, with a base, underneath, of top soil.

applestar
Mod

I have a link to this study. I was going to write a synopsis but I'm too sleepy, so I'll just post the link. Hope it helps. I'd like to hear if you see a corellation to your experience. 8)
:arrow: https://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cgc/cgc24/cgc24-16.pdf

sixboots

Oh goodness. Maybe when you get time for the synopsis..?

applestar
Mod

It basicaly says in their experiment, none germinated at 50°F and it took more than 20 days for significant number of varieties to completely germinate at 57°F, and germination rate was much much better at 64°F.

Also there are a few varieties that germinate better despite colder soil.
(I thought it was interesting that they mentioned Charleston Grey which is the variety jal_ut grows 8))

What variety watermelon are you growing? Is yours mentioned?

sixboots

The packet just says Sugar Baby, no scientific name.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Remember what counts is soil temp not air temp. Even though your air temp is in the 80's, if it just got there, the soil is likely a whole lot colder.

But I think if they haven't sprouted in 3 weeks, they aren't going to. I would dig around where you planted, and see if you can find any of the seeds. If they have roots sprouted, you can just put them back and give them a little more time. But I'm guessing you won't even find them. They sat in cold moist soil not sprouting and rotted away.

Start over once your soil is warmer.

The zukes and watermelons in proper conditions sprout in just a few days.

applestar
Mod

...................14°C chamber 18°C chamber
Cultivar Total Actual % Total Actual %
Sugar Baby 25.8 10.5 35 5.5 5.5 100
35% germination at 14°C taking 10-26 days, 100% germination at 18°C taking 5.5 days -- if I'm reading ths correctly.

Gustav
Cool Member

I harvested about 2000 watermelons last year & I also think your problem is the soil temp.

Luckily the seeds aren't that expensive, so maybe get some more.

Did you sig some seeds up to see if they germinated?

Return to “All Other Fruit”