bwhite829

fruit tree question

Hey guys, I have a question and am not sure whether to put it in landscaping or fruit forum. I'll just do one post and if the mods see fit to move it thats fine.
So here's the deal. My friends just bought a home and have a back section that they might clear out, but they don't want to just be completely open, they want privacy in the back. I was talking to them about possibly putting a fruit hedge back there but its mostly filtered shade right now, I don't know if it'll be the same when it gets cleared out some. I think berries will grow in partial or filtered shade, as they are an understory bush in forests where they get no sun. I'm not sure if a hedge of plums, peaches, or apples would grow in there? It is in NW Florida, so the area will probably be a good bit cooler than the sunny areas if that means anything. My grandfather's trees are suckering like crazy over the past 2 years and he has been letting them go to transplant for friends and family, so that'll be the source of trees. Do you guys think this is even doable? I am wondering if we might be able espalier some trees along the chain link fence in the back yard.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello, Florida High Bush Blueberries may work well there. They range in height up to 8' and they get there quick... around three years. They will require acidic soil.

Bobc11

floridahillnursery wrote:Hello, Florida High Bush Blueberries may work well there. They range in height up to 8' and they get there quick... around three years. They will require acidic soil.
I will agree with floridahillnursery, however, I must stress that your soil will need to be acidic. I just recently had to amend my soil that my blueberries were planted in because of a ph of 7. If your soil is not acid enough (this is from my experience) your bushes will get very leggy, and not produce much if any fruit. I now use a soil acidifier, and they are now growing quite well!

Return to “All Other Fruit”