OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

How Long for Miracle Fruit to bare.

I got 2 Miracle Fruit seedlings, they seem to be a couple months but only about 8-10 inches and the stem about 1/4 of an inch, so does anyone how long it will take for it to bare fruit?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

This is what I got from wikipedia:

The plant grows best in soils with a pH as low as 4.5 to 5.8, in an environment free from frost and in partial shade with high humidity. It is tolerable to drought, full sunshine and slopes.[4]

The seeds need 14 to 21 days to germinate. A spacing of 4 m between plants is suggested.[4]

The plants first bear fruit after growing for approximately 3-4 years,[4] and produce two crops per year, after the end of the rainy season.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh wow 4 Years......Well its a Long shot but I'm up for the challenge to try those wonders of Fruits.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello OROZCONLECHE, with a 1/4 inch stem it will likely be this year. I have one in fruit as we speak. Some helpful tips; They hate direct light even bright not direct light. The soil should be an acidic peat blend. They require very little fertilizer a slow release osmocote will work nicely. They are very slow to grow but quick to fruit and generally stay fruiting throughout the summer. A friend stopped over last week and we ate a handful with some lemon slices. Its strange they actually make sour fruit taste like there is sugar piled on it. Not just sweet but a real cane sugar taste. Its likely an adaptive trait due to poor soil conditions in its native habitat. Hope this helps. :D

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Cool very informative, I actually have it on a direct light, I will switch it right now to keep it on a shady area and I actually do have Slow release osmocote, Thanks again and I really do hope they fruit soon, I have no problem waiting a year or two but 1 sounds better in its normal conditions

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Oh I forgot to mention they like acidic soil like 5.5 blueberry type acidic soil...

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I kinna knew about the acidity of the soil but How can I make it more acidic?

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

The square Spagnum peat moss bails at homedepot or lows are around a PH of 3.0 You can mix it in with potting soil at around 50/50.

MiracleFruitHut
Newly Registered

With the right soil mix you can have the plants fruiting in 2 and a half years.

by the way its worth the wait!

Lianne

just out of curiosity, does miracle fruit have any common or practical uses?

I ate one on a field trip in grade school many years ago and then got to lick a lime for the next hour... all I remember is thinking how cool it was that my lime tasted like candy... I'm not sure how often I'd like to go off eating lemons or limes, so I'm curious of if it's used for other things!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Agree with you, Soil is Everything on gardening and I cant think of a better reason of why to eat miracle fruits

Lianne

oh, don't get me wrong, it's totally cool! I just wasn't sure if there was more to them than the novelty aspect. I love that they work that way though :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I'd love to try one of these fruits, never tried it.

Lianne

thank you for the long list :)

the one time I had it was maybe 15 or more years ago. I should try this fruit again!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea I'm so stoked to try this, Well it should be a while but what the heck rather this than buying the berrys online, if it helps I got mine right here https://www.randys-tropicalplants.com/ the guy really helped me out on how to keep it alive and other stuff but again thanks everyone

MiracleFruitHut
Newly Registered

Lianne wrote:thank you for the long list :)

the one time I had it was maybe 15 or more years ago. I should try this fruit again!
Your welcome it really is wonderful with a lot more to it beyond the novelty aspect, Like everything it's just how you apply it. It has a very interesting history behind it aswell with Robert Harvey and his company miralin who were trying to put miracle powder in practically everything from commercial soda drinks to natural candy. There was a lot in store until the FDA disallowed that aspect I.e Miraculin in commercial food and drink products.

I believe every family should have a miracle berry plant. If not just to make life that little bit Sweeter! :-)

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Miracle fruit is often used by cancer patients as an appetite enhancer. Kimo makes people throw up when they try to eat so its a big help for them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”