amy99s

caterpillars eating my passion vine -- PEST CONTROL???

What would be the best thing to put on my passion vine to get rid of these little caterpillars that are eating all my leaves???

[img]https://www.whosaidnothinginlifeisfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/caterpillars.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

When I find caterpillars, first thing I always do is find out what butterfly or moth the plant is larval host for.

Which species passionflower vine do you have?
Passiflora incarnata (Purple Passion Vine) is larval host for these butterflies:
Attracts: Butterflies
Larval Host: Gulf Fritillary, Zebra Longwing, Crimson-patch longwing, Red-banded hairstreak, Julia butterfly, Mexican butterfly.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PAIN6

amy99s

will they kill or hurt the vine too much?

applestar
Mod

That will depend on how big your vine is and how many caterpillars there are... And also on exactly what kind this caterpillar is.

It looks pretty small and it's hard to see details in the photo, but you should be able to find images of the caterpillars in various instar stages for all the above butterflies. You might try butterfliesandmoths.org or bugguide.net

If this little guy is too young to tell, you might consider raising it. If you are game, find a plastic container that you can punch holes in -- I like using clamshell type cookie or salad/sandwich containers for little caterpillars. Punch at least 6 holes in top and bottom and line the bottom with 2 sheets of paper towel. Put the caterpillar in and give it one or two washed leaves. Check in the morning and at night to make sure it has enough to eat. This will give you some idea of how much they eat too. You'll need to change the paper towels once a day. I put them in the compost pile, but if you want to be able to flush in the toilet, use 3-4 sheets of toilet paper.

It may turn out too, that they are not desirable species at all. Or your plant my not be big enough to support all or any of them. But I feel ID'ing them is the first step. :wink:

amy99s

great tips ! I was thinking of trying to keep a few in a container to watch them change into butterfies. I think the kids would like that.

lorax
Greener Thumb

If you do keep them in a container, you'll have to feed them - passiflora leaves, since that's where you found them.

In general, if it's an established plant and you've got caterpillars, they won't kill it, just make some holes. My Taxo and Granadilla are hosts for a couple of types of endemic Fritillary butterflies, so I generally let them munch as much as they want. The plants are vigorous enough to resist it, and I get lovely butterflies all through the summer.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello, Its a Gulf Fritillary. They prefer to lay their eggs on native wild passionfruit vines. I have the same problem in Orlando too. They can mow down a vine pretty quick but I have found that the vine will grow so fast that it actuallyl outgrows them. They are great for butterfly gardens. If your bent on killing them which I don't recommend you can use an organic pesticide such bacillus you can buy it at most home centers.

Return to “All Other Fruit”