PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Does this sound like a problem with this Lemon tree?

Hello,

I have a young Lemon tree. It is in a 15 gallon pot with potting soil and compost, and gets a watering every 3 days or so. I always notice the upper most leaves appear to be very light in color. Almost a yellow-green. Sometimes it looks blotchy too. I was thinking this was a sign of too much watering. So I stopped watering for a little while. I have waited a week, then it rained 2 days ago and I have not watered since. Leaves still look the same.

When I prepped the potting soil I added azomite (rock dust), and 5 cups of Citrus tone, it was instructed to add 6 cups for the size of the tree but I only did 5. This tree has been in this pot for a little over a month now.

Also I notice some of the tiny fruits that are forming some are getting real dark. I am thinking they will be no good. Any reason they are becoming dark and will they be fine to eat when mature?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am new to Citrus as well however I have some light colored leaves on both my Orange and Lemon tree. The orange was new growth and after a couple of weeks they got darker.

My lemon tree the upper leafs look healthy (and went from light to dark) and the lower ones are curled down a bit and kind of yellow. they were like that when I got the tree. I have a moisture probe and have not needed to water them in some time.

Not sure if that helps. someone also said something about Iron needs... might be the issue.

check out the website for some info. https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/tips-and-advice/growing-dwarf-citrus.html

applestar
Mod

I meant to mention this before -- I'm a bit concerned that you said the amount of Citrus-tone you used was based on the recommended amount for the size of the TREE. When in containers, I would think the overriding criteria would be the size of the container.

Citrus-tone is all organic, I think, but would probably contain acidifiers. I do think it probably has an iron supplement already though.

Have you checked the tree for signs of scale insects? It's actually easier to look for ants marching up and down the tree and the container.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I will check for scales. I actually added azomite to the pot when I planted it which has tons of trace minerals.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

The more frequent watering regimen of trees in containers may cause minerals to flush down the drain, iron included. Can you get one of those cheap kits that lets you check the soil pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, etc? You do not need a fancy kit. If it is alkaline then leaves turn yellowish but the leaf veins remain dark green. To combat iron defficiency, add more iron amendments. I have noticed your problem on my Myer's Lemon and adding amendments to combat iron defficiency helped.

While you are at it, use the kit to check for nitrogen defficiency too. Lack of nitrogen causes yellow leaves sometimes.

Return to “All Other Fruit”