RogueRose
Green Thumb

Meyer Lemon - Temp Tolerances?

Hey everyone! I have a Meyer Lemon tree I've had for about 2yrs now. Last year I kept it inside and didn't put it outside til about late April/May. It got some sort of mite that made it super sticky and so when I brought it outside I sprayed it down with some spray and cut it pretty much down to nubs.

It came back with a vengeance and grew happy and healthy all summer. I brought it back in and it did good for the most part but it's definitely much happier outside. Anyway, it went through a big bloom and has little fruities growing on it. But when it's inside the fruits start to fall off so I want to get it outside as quick as possible.

We've been getting unseasonably warm weather lately so I put the tree outside. I usually empty the pot and re-pot it when I put it outside for good for the summer with some fresh soil.

My question is what's the lowest temps that you've found Meyer lemons to be able to handle? I found a site that says it "does best in 55-70 range" but dies when it goes below 54. I kind of doubt a plant can know the difference between 55 an 54.

I'm thinking of moving it outside during the day and inside at night (spoiled sucker). It has a lot of itty bitty lemons on there right now...I would like to get them to maturity!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am not an expert but I will say 54-55F is off. I have a eureka lemon out in the 40s. As long as it gets no frost it should be fine. I probably would not put it out in anything less than 40F.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I am not an expert but I will say 54-55F is off. I have a eureka lemon out in the 40s. As long as it gets no frost it should be fine. I probably would not put it out in anything less than 40F.
That is what I was thinking. I keep my house pretty cool too during the winter (58) and it does fine. So I think it'd be able to handle the 40s fine.

Thanks!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My late father-in-law lived in central La. and had a Meyer Lemon tree planted in his yard that I gave him many years ago. Now I know it doesn't get near as cold here as it does in your neck of the woods but just about every winter it would get below freezing several times a year at his place and that tree survived just fine.

After he passed away I went up to his property to board things up since none of his kids live near the house and have no plans of taking it over. Believe it or not, someone dug up that lemon tree and hauled it off.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”