desi1115

First time watermelon and cantaloupe planter, advice?

I recently planted some watermelon and canatloupe seeds in some small pots. They are sprouting beautifully! Didnt know they would sprout that fast either. I was growing them in pots and then when they get a bit more hardy I was going to plant them in my yard where they will have plenty of room to grow. I recently bought some more seeds so I was wondering, is the pot method the best way to go or should I just plant them straight in the ground? Also any advice on preparing the yard before I plant them? I bought some miracle grow for the soil hoping it would help with the transition from pots to the ground. When should I transfer them to the ground from the pots? :) thanks for any help!! 8)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Melons do better direct seeded into the ground. They like it warm I think soil temp has to be atleast 80F.

KeriFord

good to know, Punk! I'll wait longer this year before doing mine.

not to threadjack hike, but is there anything you should do differently from cantaloupe to watermelons? last year I planted in the same area. the watermelons grew fantastic (until the deer found them. ...different issue entirely that I'll deal with this year!) but the cantaloupe just flowered and then nothing.

*following this topic*

Return to “All Other Fruit”