GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Can I move these (citrus tree)

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-02-28_13-13-05_150.jpg[/img]

The guy next door doesn't want these can I move them? And will they live?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

They appear to be in some type of container in the ground from what I see in the picture unless that is just a type of border around the base of the trees. If that is so, it should be easier to transplant them.

Even if that is not the case, I would still do it. Just make sure to dig as to not cut up too many roots close to the trees and dig a couple feet down under it. They don't appear all that big so transplanting should not be too hard. Most citrus trees in my area don't produce fruit until later in the year and are ready for harvesting near early November. Transplanting these may set back their growth for this year but I see no reason why they shouldn't survive.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

The black thing is just a border. So just try not to break the big roots? Would I dig it out as a root ball? Or could I free it from the dirt? Its raining right now but at least the ground will be semi soft.

applestar
Mod

They don't look very big. I'm not an expert but in general, you'd want to get as much rootball as you can, especialy when trees/shrubs are not dormant. Roots will extend beyond drip line. You'll want to dig straight down at first, then diagonally towards the center.

I think it would be courteous to supply soil to replace the amount you'll be taking with you unless the neighbor has specifically said that's not necessary.

It would be best to have where you are going to plant them dug and prepped, but you can also bring tarps or burlap to wrap the rootball in and keep watered until you are ready to plant -- hopefully with in the next few days.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Me and him just got 3 trailer loads of horse manure I don't think we will have any problem refilling them. He just wants them gone and yeah I was going to pre dig a hole. For them Ill give it a shot and see what happens thanks all.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What kind of Citrus are they?

Return to “All Other Fruit”