ruggr10
Green Thumb

My experiment

So, it's about 11 degrees F outside right now and I'm going stir crazy... So...

I took 6 cuttings from my 3 bilberry bushes and soaked them for a few hours in warm water. Bilberry plants are so hard to find and my seeds aren't sprouting so I want to sprout the cuttings.

I couldn't find rooting hormone and went against using honey, instead I made balls of worm castings from my worms and stuck the cuttings into them. I then put the balls into some pro-mix. They're now under my grow lights.

We'll see what happens!

If someone know where I can order bilberry plants let me know! Hartmann's used to have them but they weren't on there website this year.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a fun project. I have 10 Filbert cuttings I'm trying to root.

Are you using any bottom heat? Do you have plastic or jars over them to keep the humidity up?

Looks like One Green World was / is selling Bilberry. You may have a better chance finding them by searching Vaccinium myrtillus and not the common name.

Eric

vebyrd36

Air layering maybe??

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Do you think bottom heat would help?

There in my furnace room under shop lights.... If putting heat underneath will help I'll do it.

One green world used to have them but I don't think so any more.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The humidity dome is really important for starting cuttings. Since they don't have roots yet, to suck up water, if they are losing water through the leaves, they die.

I use 2 liter soda bottle cut in half. Fill the bottom half with moist potting soil and stick your cutting in. Then cover it with the top half with the lid on, tape the halves together and keep out of direct sun. Once it starts putting out new leaves you can open it up.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

These were dormant cuttings since it's winter up here, so no leaves... I don't know if I need the bottles but that is a great idea for ones with leaves!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFL-jEkWSV8]video[/url] may help.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Will a dormant cutting work? Usually cuttings are taken in the spring when the plant is actively growing.

vebyrd36

As to roses I think dormant cuttings are okay. Just Select your cuttings from the tips of rose canes that have recently bloomed. Trim off tips will have either withered flowers or the beginnings of rose hips on them.

Or at least this is how I :) have done it. I hope this helps.

bangstrom

In place of rooting hormone, you can water cuttings with willow water. Google "willow water" for details.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

a bit of bottom heat should help - especially in a coolish environment that won't encourage leafing out.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Clonex is a great cloning compound. The roots actually break out of the stem. They should have at least one mature leaf per cutting.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

My experiment may be working!!!

One out of the 6 bilberry cuttings I started a couple of weeks ago has 2 leaves that just budded out today!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Return to “All Other Fruit”