Vorguen

Question about fruits / seeds / trees

Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research about growing fruit trees and I decided to do two things, since most of the time when you plant from seed it is a roll of the dice as to whether or not you get a good fruit producing variety or not, I was thinking of growing a couple of each type of fruit tree and pick some grafted nursery varieties and also plant some from seeds..

However, I have bumped into a lot of research about certain fruits that hardly ever bear fruit if they are planted from seed (Like Avocado) for example and a lot of fruits that are bitter 99% of the time if planted from seed (IE citrus like oranges, etc).

I was wondering if this is true, and I collected many citrus seeds from local citrus trees and was wondering if it was even viable to try to grow them? I mean, I could also buy one nursery variety and graft them, but that would be a lot of trouble.

My wife planted an orange tree once from seed and the fruit is very delicious... so who knows?

Also lastly, there are a bunch of local citrus trees that have these tiny oranges on them, I wish I had a picture but they look exactly like an orange but about 1 inch (or less?) in diameter.

They are very interesting and funny, I split some open and the seeds are the same size as any orange, and so the inside of the fruit is almost composed of half fruit half seeds just from how large they are..

so funny XD

Well, I would appreciate you all's thoughts.. thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Those trees with tiny "oranges" might be kumquat trees. Just a thought. :)

Vorguen

well the only thing that confused me is that kumquats generally have a soft skin like an apple / pear / tomato but these oranges definitely have the skin of a regular orange, the thick peel off orange skin

So that's why I had no idea O_O

Also they're completely round unlike the usual flatter tangerine look, and ive seen so many its so weird lol

also, any thoughts on my idea about growing the trees? :)

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello, that sound like Kumquats. Kumquats have the peel of an orange I think you may be confusing them with Loquat (Japenese Plum). About the fruit trees being grown from seed the time it takes for a plant to fruit from seed is generally speaking 5-10 years where as a tree that has been grafted or air layered will fruit that season. This is due to the cuttings being taken from a tree that is of fruit bearing age. It can be a junk shoot when growing fruit tres from seed. We have wild oranges here in Florida and thay are god awful. Hope this helps.

Vorguen

I wonder how hard it would be to root a branch from my wife's orange tree at her parent's house... the only problem is said parent's house is 6 hrs away from ours, so if we got them to ship us a cutting of a branch how long do we have before it dies out before we can root it?

Vorguen

Got you that might work. Would the cutting not make it through the shipment if it didn't have roots on it yet or what?

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello I would take 10 cuttings or so with one bud per cutting. Use clonex cloning agent low light humid conditions, and daily misting.

Return to “All Other Fruit”