Intriguedbybonsai

Planting an avocado seed

I'm trying the toothpick, and glass of water method. I've been to alot of websites, but everyone has a different rule for suspending the seed. Is it pointed end up, or pointed end down?

I want to try planting one in a pot of soil as well. Same question, does the pointed end of the seed go up or down. Or does it matter at all?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

pointy end up

applestar
Mod

Yep. Pointy end up.
I've posted several times how I do it -- try searching for "avocado seed" author "applestar" for a couple pages of results. Don't have time to search through for best one right now.
:wink:

ButterflyGarden

Will a tree planted this way bear fruit? I thought it wouldn't.

Intriguedbybonsai

Probably not, and if it does the fruit may or may not be the same parent tree it came from. These are fun horticulture projects that I love to do as a hobby. Planting a seed, and seeing it grow into a plant is a very rewarding "miracle of life" experience.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's possible it would, but avocado trees take at least ten years to get mature enough to bear fruit, and that would only be if you have the appropriate climate for it.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

If the pit is big enough you can use those glass vase bulb sprouter thingies. Great if you run out of toothpicks. :lol:

Return to “All Other Fruit”