OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Question about Avocados

So My neighbor has basically a Whole Nursery but sells nothing, he says its his passion and just grows all the stuff without selling any plants, and so he told me two things about avocados, 1.That when the Tree is about to produce fruit, He needs to puncture or stab the tree so some liquid can get off the tree so it can produce fruit to its fullest, and that the Agriculture people don't say this as its not allowed, and the 2nd part is that once a tree is fully mature you can hammer in a Iron Nail so it gets Iron Nutrients and Fruit to its fullest? is any of this real.?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_08_1922/CAS_1922-23_PG_19-20.pdf

Eric

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I nice so some people do put a nail in the tree, but removing bark is not necessary than.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

He needs to puncture or stab the tree so some liquid can get off the tree so it can produce fruit to its fullest
This technique is called girdling.
https://www.ent.uga.edu/peach/peachhbk/cultural/girdling.pdf

You also maybe interested in bud nicking and notching. Pruning techniques.

Eric

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I guess it's all down to stopping the plant from getting too vegative.
Wounding was always a good way of getting a tree to produce fruit bud.

With the avocados....don't they grow on the poorest and steepest of places in the wild?
Perhaps growing them on ' good ' soil encourages them to grow away too strongly and a little bit of harsh treatment is needed from time to time.
It certainly works with figs and walnuts.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh wow that is one of the craziest things I've heard but now that I know I can use it on my familys trees, thanks for the pdf files, and I didn't know it work for other trees too but now I know, even thought I don't know anyone with fig or nut trees.

Return to “All Other Fruit”