OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Which is the Root? Mango

So I Got Tired of my mango plant not doing anything and me not knowing what is the root and what is the steam I wish to seek help, I don't want to expose the root to the light thinking its the steam and dig the steam upside down thinking its the root, Now there is 3 Limps so I'm kind of confused.

[img]https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/victororozco/2011-12-11164601.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/victororozco/2011-12-11165016.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/victororozco/2011-12-11164933.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/victororozco/2011-12-11164916.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I have to guess the loopy part is the root since the shoot comes up pretty straight and with some tiny baby leaves attached...and the stem is red, if I remember correctly, though there might be varietal differences.

Judging by how the entire husk is covered with soil in your first picture, I have to wonder if your seed had been buried too deep... Or is that the seed? Can,t quite tell... And I'm a bit puzzled by the appearance of the soil, but that might be a regional thing....

I generally open the husk and take out the bean-like seed too, though I've tried sowing in-husk and got them to sprout as well.

One other note, the tip of the loop looks brown and unhealthy. The root tip may have died -- over watering would be my guess-- and a secondary root may be trying to grow.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

If the root is dead will it still grow or will it die, and I didn't know that the loop was the root but just incased I put dirt on it too so the dirt was way on top

Intriguedbybonsai

By the looks of the picture, your soil appears to be very dry. I have a few mango seedlings growing right now, and I try to keep their soil moist.

How deep are you planting your seeds?

How long have you had them growing in their pots?

From my own experience, usually if you plant them right on the surface, the root will always seem to find it's way into the soil. The longest shoot is normally the root, and the leafy shoots will come later on. Now if you have multiple roots sprouting, you could have gotten a hold of a poly-embryonic seed.

Look at this website. https://produsola.com/what-we-do_mango-propagation.html

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Those are the craziest Mango plants ive seen ever, specially the one with like 4 plants in one seed, and for my plant its about 1 inch or even half an inch deep so not too deep, its been in the pot for about 1 month and a half, I brought it in because it was getting cold and it wasnt growing, I'm loosing hope on that seed but keep it moist and warm, I'm starting a new seed, the mango plants look too nice to not have at home, so my goal is to have a growing mango plant.

Intriguedbybonsai

Seeing as we both live in Southern California, and the freezing cold nights that we have during fall and winter, it may be best to keep your seed indoors. Cold weather can hurt, or even kill young mango plants.

I have a poly-embryonic (Harumanis) mango seed growing. I separated the seed once I saw 3 roots growing from it. Only 2 of the roots survived.
[img]https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Skeletor619/1212112010a.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Skeletor619/1212112009.jpg[/img]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I noticed all my plants take longer to grow than most people I wana say its the soil as I use dirt from outside, Those are some nice plants, If a seed has 2 plants should you cut the smallest one? and I'm going to the store hopefully tomorrow if it don't rain and buy some mangos again for some seeds and its flavorful fruit.

Intriguedbybonsai

It is possible to use ground soil for pots, but I'd stick with a good potting mix if possible. Personally I mix a little ground soil with potting soil just to make it last a little longer. :wink: Potting soils are intended to hold more moisture. Whereas ground soils dry out quickly. Potting soil also contains alot of decayed matter which is perfect for growing seedlings.

Now I've heard if a seed grows 2 plants you should cut the smallest one, but I'd rather keep them both alive, and maybe transplant one of the two to it's own pot.

And thanks for the compliments! Goodluck mango buying tomorrow!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea the two plants out of 1 seed even looks artistic I wish I could get mine like that, well for me I wish 1 plant and if I do ill put it next to the heater with light and water and thanks for the luck I'm goint to need it. Anither thing my mango root if its the loopy thing, sinse its hard brown and looks kind of dead, should I cut the dead tip idk if this would help it or prevent it from spreading

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

So I got this babys Today, I got the Seed but I don't know what to do, Should I put it inside the Soil? should I Leave it Ontop of the Soil? Should I Keep the Soil Wet? and Should I Put Light Over the Seed?
[img]https://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/victororozco/2011-12-13172144.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I pry the "bean" shaped seeds out with table knife, then lay them on their sides on top of packed, pre-moistened (NEVER WET -- feels like squeezed out sponge) good premium potting mix, wiggled into the mix and barely peeking at the top. Cover with vented humidity cover (upper cut off soda bottle with cap removed, berry container, etc). Provide bottom heat at least approx 75°-80°F.

Bright light not necessary until shoot sprouts, then bright but no direct sunlight. Keep soil moist but no wet and not dried out. if you want it to grow unhindered, the pot should be at least 6" deep. (I do have one that I'm keeping stunted on purpose though)

I think they seem to thrive in temps 85°-95°F. Mine stop growing during the winter months at room temp of 65°~70°F but start showing signs of growth around Spring Equinox (lengthening daylight seem to trigger growth for many species).

@IBB - those babies look so cute! I'm trying not to grow any more though.....:>

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I will assume you have many, I personally can't stop planting anything I find x) I'm also trying papaya, its the small hawaiian type I love papayas and hope it will fruit but I think I will need more than 1 as a male and female so they can produce, and for the mangos I'm going to take your advice and use good soil and use a cover for a greenhouse effect do you know the germination rate on average?

Intriguedbybonsai

Plastic wrap tied to a pot with rubberbands makes a good greenhouse effect too. Water will condensate on the plastic, and drip back into the pot. You don't have to worry about watering all that often using homemade greenhouse covers. The mango that I posted in the pictures is a little over a month old, and roots are already escaping through the pot's holes... :o
So in due time a larger pot will be needed.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I just found a ziploc bag that fits perfect in the pot, will closing it compleatly be bad or good, idk if they need air going in and out?

Intriguedbybonsai

Poke a few holes in the ziploc so it can breathe. :wink:

applestar
Mod

I cut the corners off.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Alright Thanks I wasnt going to but ill take the advice, and thanks for all this info gana get a nice plant out of this 8)

Return to “All Other Fruit”