ruggr10
Green Thumb

Anyone grow Saskatoons?

I've got 18 high bush blueberry plants and lots of wild ones that spread on their ow (obviously in Maine I would have to grow them!!), even a pink one. I've got lots of other different berries too that haven't fruited yet but maybe this year I'll get some, but I was thinking about Saskatoonberries. I have some spots left and I could either add more blueberries or I was thinking of Saskatoons.

The sports are in the front of the house next to the driveway. Saskatoon bushes are supposedly good looking and prolific but I've never seen any nor tasted any so I need to know if they're worth it. It seems like in Canada they are as big as blueberries are in Maine.

Also, I've seen different places online selling them, what's the best kinds to grow at home?

Who can help me out?

Thanks!!!!!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they've got short shelf life, but as far as I'm concerned, it's their only downside (the stems tend to pull out of the berries, leaving a hole, where blueberry stems either come along with the berry or break off cleanly, leaving not much of a whole).

can't tell you about specific varieties, (though I have a couple, they're still too young to evaluate)...I can say that some kind of Amelanchier was used locally as a city landscaping tree, and I'm sure it wasn't chosen for its flavor or its productivity (more likely flowers and pollution/weedeater tolerance), but every year they're covered with excellent berries (seriously, they rival blueberries in my book - kind of a blueberry/applesauce flavor with hints of vanilla from the seeds), spring freezes be damned. one of my favorites.

there are tree-formed species, too, but you sound like you're talking about bush-sized things.

applestar
Mod

Have two kinds -- Serviceberry tree and Juneberry bush form (I'd have to look up actual species name at the mo.). The berries on the tree are susceptible to Cedar Apple Rust and I lose some of the berries every year, and the rest I have to fight the catbirds for, but they are good. :wink:

Unfortunately I planted it close to a wild crabapple that appears to be a carrier but immune.

The Juneberry shrub is in a separate part of the garden and I can't tell if it is protected or resistant, but so far no sign of disease. It is, however, also targeted by robins and catbirds....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I bought a bundle of 10 Serviceberry Seedlings (Amelanchier alnifolia) from Burnt Ridge Nursery. Seedlings, not known improved variety. They are tasty, but blueberries are better.

Eric

Return to “All Other Fruit”