iskhan
Cool Member

Date Plant problem

Hi

I have a 3ft high date plant growing fine but last 2/3 weeks I fount a very small size RED color caterpillar like worm eating leaves and then fold it for its house. when ever I saw it I cut the leaf and through it.
What it is and how I control it in future?
Thanks

BostonianChick

Hey Iskhan!

I don't know the name of this little pest but neem oil keeps caterpillars away from many plants. I hope this helps!

BostonianChick

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Iskhan, hand-picking (removing) the caterpillars is usually effective unless there is an absolute infestation (invasion) of them. The first thing to try then is a spray of 5 mL liquid soap--not detergent--in 1 L water in a spray bottle. Spray the leaves on both sides, the top and the bottom. Any eggs or other insects will be killed, but mature caterpillars will be spared; take them off yourself.

Neem is a pretty "big gun" in gardening. I like to save it for occasional use. Follow the directions and, again, make sure to get both sides of the leaves wet.

Unfortunately, neem will also kill any beneficial (helpful) insects, like bees, butterflies, and other pollinating insects which the date palm may need to create dates; that's why I'm reluctant to use it on my own plants.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

iskhan
Cool Member

Thanks

iskhan
Cool Member

Thanks

Return to “All Other Fruit”