OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Papaya Tree?

Anyone Know The Harvest Time of a Papaya Tree From Seed to Fruit?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Not sure but a lady gave me a small tree about 2 feet. And she told me next year I should get fruit. I see one about 4-5 foot in her yard and see a few small papaya already growing. They fruit pretty fast. The problem is pollination.

You could have a tree that produces only male flowers or only female flowers. So you would need several trees. But there are some trees that have both male and female flowers. I don't know if there is a way to tell what you got until they produce flowers.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Oh Darn maybe she gave you one cuz she wants a different sex papaya tree on the neighborhood lol jk but if its a fast growing tree then ama go for it then I just don't wana get a slow growing tree and for it to not have an opposite tree, but sense its fast then I don't mind what kind of sex it is maybe ill be a good house plant till it grows big enough

lorax
Greener Thumb

One year from seed to first flowers (at which point you can see what you've got). Assuming that you're in a frost-free location.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Damn ama go to the store and buy a papaya yhen dump the seeds in a big pot then if in 1 year it will be ready, just I might build a mini green house out of piping like I seen in youtube for the seedlings of papaya

applestar
Mod

Now you got me I trigued. I once planted a whole tray of papaya seeds from a fruit I ate, just for fun, and they ALL came up. Very easy to start from seed. I don't remember now why I couldn't/didn't keep any of them.:?

I know one reason I haven't tried again is I wasn't thrilled with the fruit, though I have heard that is is very healthy, including promoting digestion.

If anyone has recipe ideas, please post them in the Recipes Forum. Maybe I'lll try this again. 8)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

So Would Right Now be a perfect time to start growing the seedlings here in california, cuz it doesnt have frost, and because when summer hits the tree can grow even bigger

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

So When Is The Best Time To Start Growing plants? When does Summer or even Spring Start?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can start the papaya seed now. But keep it indoors and during the day put it out to get sun but bring in at night. Do this until Spring and even then be careful cause young trees are very sensitive. Spring I think starts late March, but people usually put stuff out in April when it is above 50F at night.

Your zone is similar to mine so around mid April is a good time to transplant a lot of things. You can start the seeds sooner though.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Perfect now I finally know when to start all my outside major gardening then

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah if you do tomatoes and peppers and some herbs start them like 6-8 weeks before transplant date in pots indoors. Transplant date would be mid April like I say cause then the night time temps would be around 50F and higher.

What you need to do is make a list of what you wanna grow then think about the space you have available. Then plan what you are gonna grow where. Remember to give plants correct spacing too, you don't wanna over crowd. I only have one tree and its called a Goji berry tree. Might wanna look into it. But fruit trees are a little more care and need more space and they take a lot of time usually to get fruits.

Return to “All Other Fruit”