OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Grafting a Mango Tree?

Does the Stock has to be the same type of plant as the Scion? If my Scion is a Mango could I Use a Regular Kind of Tree Laying around my Yard? or Does It have to be a Specific Type of Plant?

applestar
Mod

I think typically you would use seed-grown mango as the stock and graft a desired variety scion onto it. If you are looking for certain characteristics like dwarfing, lower temperature hardiness, soil conditions, soil-borne disease resistance, etc., you would need to get rootstock grown specifically for that purpose... Or grow from seeds mango varieties know to have those characteristics to use as root stock.

There are some cross fruit compatibilities depending on types of trees, but I don't know what that would be for mango.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well Now I'm More Confused now, lol but I guess this is more tricky than It sounds, I'm growing a mango tree and I want it to fruit asap.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What she is trying to say is; you will need to get a scion from a healthy fruit-bearing mango tree and graft it to your seed grown tree. Seed grown trees generally don't bear any fruit and need grafting or cross pollination.

Now if you want to take your mango tree right now and graft it to a root stock it needs to be from a mango root stock grown for that purpose, you can't just graft it to any root stock. I think your question was about grafting your mango tree to a unrelated trees root stock right? I don't think you can do that.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ohh ok we'll now it makes sense well I dnt have any root stock so I guess it wil just be a nice mango house plant

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've found a nursery in Ontario, CA, which offers fruit trees (including mango!) for sale. I'm sure a phone call or personal visit will elicit all the information you're looking for re. grafts, root stock, and scions: [url=https://www.sunshinegrowersnursery.com/fruitTrees.nxg]Sunshine Growers Nursery[/url].

Note that their list says "Premium Evergreen Fruit Trees--When Available." So, even for the pros, mangoes don't seem like a slam-dunk. *sigh* And there is NOTHING as sweet as a ripe mango just off the tree. (remembering my forays in Panama filling up my bicycle basket)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Nice and wow I didnt know fruit trees were cheap, but I'm actually trying to grow and produce everything my self, I want to learn how to graph things ive actually went out and got sticks from plants and try grafting just to learn the usage, but thanks again, I love how much help everyone gives in this forum.

Return to “All Other Fruit”