novicebob
Newly Registered

Grape vines

:? I planted 3 grape vine last year one had a small bunch of grapes on it, this year although vines have grown to 8-10 ft on a south facing wall apart from an even smaller bunch of grapes on the same vine nothing has happened not a grape in sight, please help

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Grapes have to be pruned every spring. You can train them any of several ways. One is in very late winter or very early spring before they attempt to leaf out is to count out 3 buds on each cane that comes out of the main stem and cut the remaining old cane off. That is the simpliest, but not always the best way in some microclimates.
Another is to train them along trellis wires like the vineyards do. That can't be easily explained in a few words. I would suggest that you go to the oregon extension site and view the doc to grape training, pruning etc. There are many other fine explanations on pruning grapes as well, but being out of the US you would have to send away for them, our cash strapped extensions are beginning to charge for all their info. So, far the oregon one still has a view feature that will allow you to read the doc. Use the net to look for grape pruning or grape care and click on the one that has osu.edu in the address. Sorry I don't know what it is off hand.

novicebob
Newly Registered

I have pruned the vines in spring and they are trained up a trellis and I have followed all the instructions for cultivation, this still doesn't address my question as to how I can get the vines to produce grapes. My neigbour's vines produce an abundance of fruit under the same conditions, so what can I do to get the same results

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your grape are no more than 4th year from cutting. My best guess is you are two to four years away from a bumper crop.

In this matter size, and in particular size of the grapes root mass, matters.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

One more question- are you growing the same grapes as your neighbor? Some grapes are more vigorous than others. This is grape country and still there are quite a few grapes that you can't grow at all or yield very poorly. I also have some grapes that bore quite well the 2nd year after starting and others that gave only 1 or 2 bunches for several years until they got going well. Also, did you fertilize in anyway the fall before? That can make a big difference. Do you know if you are doing the same things as your neighbor, or are there big differences. Hopefully, it is just age of the vines and nothing more.

Return to “All Other Fruit”