mcubb

Tiny Little Flying Bugs

So I have a pineapple, an apple, and an avocado tree on my windowsill at the moment. All three are growing very well but it seems that they have attracted A TON of tiny flying bugs. They look like gnats or fruit flies maybe. They mostly sit on the soil in the pots until you scare them and then they fly around pretty sporadically. Definitely not as smart as flies. Does anyone know what these are and how I can deal with them? I have a small dish of soap water sitting beside the plants like I read online but in the past 3 days it's only caught 3 of them. Thanks for the help

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

fungus gnats! A sign of the soil staying damp all the time and not enough air circulation. Put a little bit of cinnamon and/or a more generous amount of chamomile in the water you water with, should take care of it. The cinnamon / chamomile are anti-fungals. The adult fungus gnats eat fungus in the soil. But they lay eggs which become larvae in the soil which eat the roots of your plants, so you don't want them.

Type fungus gnats into the Search the Forum keyword box and find tons written here about them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”