hanikai

Jaboticaba Tree, no fruit. :(

Hi!

I have a Jaboticaba Tree that is about 15 years old, and has been potted her whole life.

I got her when she was on the brink of dying, no leaves at all left as she'd been neglected and had no water for quite some time.

I was not sure if she would make it, so I cut off as much of the dead wood as I dared, and planted her in the ground.

This was a year or so ago. She's now growing beautifully, but I have not seen any fruit yet. I was told she used to fruit frequently before she was neglected.

I have tried the ringbarking method on a couple of the major branches, but nothing happened. The branches are fine, and still no fruit.

Does anyone know if there's anything else I can do, or should I just wait? Is it possible that her almost dying made her unable to bear fruit in the future?

Aloha!

- H

lorax
Greener Thumb

Just be patient. Abused trees sometimes take a couple of years to re-establish themselves, and in the case of Jaboticaba what I've observed is that if the root system isn't completely happy and lush, they won't fruit. I'd venture, then, that what's happening with yours is that she's recovering her root system. When she's happy again, she'll fruit.

hanikai

lorax wrote:Just be patient. Abused trees sometimes take a couple of years to re-establish themselves, and in the case of Jaboticaba what I've observed is that if the root system isn't completely happy and lush, they won't fruit. I'd venture, then, that what's happening with yours is that she's recovering her root system. When she's happy again, she'll fruit.
Hi there, thanks for your post. Sorry I didn't reply to it sooner.. I thought I had subscribed to the topic, but I didn't get a notification that you'd posted, so I just noticed it now.

I'll keep patient, and cross my fingers. Even if she never fruits again, she's still a beautiful tree, so I'll just enjoy the ornamental beauty she brings to my garden for now. :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”