iamzvonko
Newly Registered

Need advice on planting peach tree

Hello,

My kids got me a [url=https://gurneys.com/trugold-peach/p/72320/]peach tree[/url] for Father's Day. It's being delivered in the fall and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to prepare for it.

I'd appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, etc for making sure I do this the right way.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Z

PS-I'm in northern Ohio

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Peach trees are easy to grow. I planted about 10 in the last 2 years that started on their wn! I just dug a foot deep hole and placed some good soil n it and watered it good! You ahould have no problem. Plant it in a sunny place and plant it after a rain or on a cloudy day! Don't add any fertilizer to the new plant till it takes hold!

Moley
Cool Member

In recent years the trend has moved away from amending the hole with anything other than the native soil that was already there.

Dig the whole twice as wide as the root-ball, plant it high, water well, and enjoy your fruits next season, I however would pinch a lot of the fruit the first season to encourage future bountiful harvests. I might leave a handful for tasting purposes.

iamzvonko
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies. I had thought it wouldn't be a big deal but some of the stuff I found in [url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1406.html]this[/url] article made me think "geez, that's a lot of things to worry about." In particular, this paragraph caught my eye:
Prepare the soil one to two years before planting so that soil pH, organic matter, and nutrient status can be modified for the production of high quality peaches and/or nectarines. Prepare a bed at least 5 to 6 feet in diameter by cultivating (spading) 10 to 12 inches deep and adding organic matter such as manure, leaves, grass clippings, and compost. Take a soil sample, have the soil tested by your local Extension office, and add the recommended lime and fertilizer. For best results, sample soils 6 to 8 inches deep every two to three years. Refer to OSU Extension Fact Sheet HYG-1132-97 for more information.
Even though I'm just starting out with gardening and planting trees, my parents grew up on farms and I'd watch them and my grandparents plant gardens and trees without ever "testing" soil and making sure to keep chemical levels balanced or all that!

Good to hear that it doesn't have to be that complicated.

Z

JONA878
Greener Thumb

There are a just a few plants that have to have a very particular soil or Ph level Z. but most have a good tolerance to the average garden soils.

Just keep the organic content up and you can't go too far wrong.

The few that prove the exception are the lime haters like Blueberry, so just check each time before you buy a particular plant, especially if it's
expensive, as to what its special needs are.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Just be careful to keep the graft well above ground level. Mulch around the tree leaving about 2" around it free of mulch. Keep it mulched always keeping the mulch away from the base of the tree. During the winter or early spring when it is dry spray the tree with dormant spray. Then as the buds swell spray with a sulpur/lime solutions and then a copper based one just before the leaves come out. Stone fruits are likely to get things like peach curl and several other fungal diseases otherwise. I know, I hate to have to spray, but this is the minimal insurance policy, many people spray a lot more that this.

iamzvonko
Newly Registered

CharlieBear,

I'm really going to show my ignorance here. You mention several things I'm not familiar with. Would you mind explaining?
- graft
- dormant spray
- sulpur/lime solution
- copper based solution

Thanks

Z

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Z.

Explenations.

Graft.....nearly all fruit trees are grafted onto a rootstock.This can be for several reasons.
It could be make sure that the tree will grow to a certain size.
It may have the benifit of some desease resistance that the tree itself has not got.

Dormant spray....This is a spray that is applied dureing the winter months when the tree is leafless.
Usually to clean up insect eggs and lavae and remove fungal spores.
( Can have the detrimental effect of killing the predators eggs etc. as well so is not used very much commercially now.)

Sulphur lime solution.....Lime sulphur can be used as a very early 'wash' on trees as again a clean- up spray. ( Not used so much now because of the same reasons as above).

Copper basede sprays.....most common mix here is Copper Sulphate solution. ( Bordeau Mixture.)
This is used on peaches from bud burst to flowering as it helps to combat leaf curl, which is a big pest on peaches.

:?

iamzvonko
Newly Registered

Thanks for the explanations.

Z

Return to “All Other Fruit”