Love my garden
Newly Registered

Moving and maybe pruning a fruit tree

I have a peach tree that I purchased as a bare root and planted last year. I lost the hanging tag that accompanied it so I know nothing else. I need to move it in the next 3 weeks. It's healthy and had lots of buds/flowers this past May/June but it is so young, it did not produce fruit. It has lots of branches.

How do I transplant this tree?
Is there something I can do now to minimize transplant shock?
Do I prune first?
How much of a root ball do I try to move with it?

Thanks

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I wouldn't even try to move it until early spring while it is still dormant or if you don't get much if any rain where you are in the fall after all the leaves are off for at least a week. It is in full leaf now and without a backhoe there isn't any way to successfully move it now and I wouldn't try it even with a backhoe. If it a full size tree, not a dwarf it might be very difficult to move it even next spring. If you try it now there is very little chance it will survive the move.

Love my garden
Newly Registered

CharlieBear wrote:... and without a backhoe there isn't any way to successfully move it now...
Thanks for the response but dang I am disappointed, I really wanted to move it. It's a dwarf and this is the second year I have had it, but all else is unknown. It's in full leaf now and growing beautifully, so I don't want to ruin it.

I am going to need some patience dust because I was so excited about moving all fruits to the side of the garage.

We have not had rain since mid May and will not get any for several more months so after the leaf drop, I'll move it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”