dansgarden
Newly Registered

Best Time to transplant Strawberries

Does anyone grow Strawberries? I'm wondering what the best time to transplant them? I recently transplanted some about 4 days ago and they have been wilting since, mostly when the sun is out, ive given them water when transplanting and have been watering every day but no result, I'm afraid that I'm doing something wrong. My plants have many runners on them and I clipped them off so I can move the main plant. Can anyone provide more insight? Thanks for the help.

Dan

soil
Greener Thumb

if I'm going to dig up some strawberries and replant them I would do it in the fall.

also you should be propagating your runners. simply put a small pot filled with soil under the runner. if its really hot out you can put a little tray under that and fill it with water. the strawberries will root and then you can cut them off and plant them.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Be patient. It will take more than 4 days for their feeder roots to settle in and be able to absorb water and nutrients from the soil. In the meantime, be careful not to overwater them. Until the feeder roots are established, the plants can't pull water from the soil. That leaves the soil too wet and the large roots can develop root rot. Just keep the soil evenly moist.

If possible, it might be good to cover the plants with clear plastic for a few hours during the heat of the day, to keep the humidity high. That can help reduce the wilting. If you do that, though, don't leave it on all the time or for too many days, because molds can grow and attack the plants. Try to devise a way to cover them and still allow open space for ventilation. In other words, don't put the plastic down tight to the surface of the soil ... if that makes sense. :lol:

dansgarden
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Be patient. It will take more than 4 days for their feeder roots to settle in and be able to absorb water and nutrients from the soil. In the meantime, be careful not to overwater them. Until the feeder roots are established, the plants can't pull water from the soil. That leaves the soil too wet and the large roots can develop root rot. Just keep the soil evenly moist.

If possible, it might be good to cover the plants with clear plastic for a few hours during the heat of the day, to keep the humidity high. That can help reduce the wilting. If you do that, though, don't leave it on all the time or for too many days, because molds can grow and attack the plants. Try to devise a way to cover them and still allow open space for ventilation. In other words, don't put the plastic down tight to the surface of the soil ... if that makes sense. :lol:

I should have clarified that I clipped off the runners growing from the main parent plant when transplanting them, is this ok to do? I just use the main parent plant when transplanting, I don't use the runners after clipping them off as they all don't have roots yet. I also will make sure that I take a good chunck of soil surrounding the plant when moving them, I didn't have much soil around the roots when moving them, maybe that has something to do with the wilting. Thanks again for the help. hope I'm doing things right. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How old are the parent plants? Most strawberries are renewed at year three. Transplanting daughter plants, in the Fall, is traditional.

Eric

dansgarden
Newly Registered

DoubleDogFarm wrote:How old are the parent plants? Most strawberries are renewed at year three. Transplanting daughter plants, in the Fall, is traditional.

Eric
Hey Eric, my plants are quite old. Since I got them, I only had one crop years ago and somewhat left them go in and didnt care for them, but 2 years ago I transplanted some and had a great crop this year, although I didn't have them in rows like strawberry farms do. Thats why I'm transplanting, so I can get them in rows like they are supposed to be, so I was just curious as to when the best time to transplant them are. Thanks for the insight Eric..

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it is best to transplant in the fall and use the young plants. I have had good success transplanting in the early spring too, however you don't get much of a spring crop doing that. Everbearers moved in the spring will give a good fall crop though.

Return to “All Other Fruit”