KSands
Newly Registered

You apple-bearing, son-of-a-what?

I have a bush in my back yard. It's pretty tall, I'd say about 7 ft. It has short, straight thorns on it. It is a bush and not a tree and it bears these small, green apples with a little blush of red. I have two of them that I found on the whole bush so far. I've tried to look it up somewhere and I see people talking about crabapple, thornapple, quince, and a couple others. Looking them up online, the pictures of these do not match the bush. Can anyone help?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Hawthorn? (Crataegus spp.) They're common and popular landscaping trees and shrubs.

For me, thornapples are Datura, and that's not what you've got.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

any chance of a pic? how does the fruit taste?

soil
Greener Thumb

are the blooms red?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yep, I'm thinking hawthorn also. I'm growing Shipova, a pear x hawthorn. May have fruit for the first time this year.

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

hey eric, my understanding is that shipova is actually pear x whitebeam (a kind of mountain ash)...not that this changes anything about growing them...

I've got one too, but it's in a pot 'cause we're gonna have to move soon.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:oops:

I knew it was Whitebeam. I should have confirmed my hawthorn thinking. Funny thing is I brought it up at my brother's last night and he didn't correct me. :lol: He usually catches these things.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm going to say chaenomeles, google chaenomeles fruit. a nice thick, thorny shrub that occasionally fruits what looks to be small apples.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

eric! thanks for the picture!

I like the documentation that shipova can be grafted onto OHxF rootstock (which I already have)...in a few years, I will have considerably more than one shipova...nice.

Return to “All Other Fruit”