Lorraine68
Newly Registered

Avocado Tree needs help!

Hi!

I planted an avocado pit in a pot last winter just for fun to see if it would sprout. It did, it's now leafy and about 14 inches tall, still very very thin and not terribly strong, with several leaves on top. Problem is, I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm new to growing trees--even 14-inch ones!
I live in Canada, so I can't plant it outdoors; it would die before it was big enough to live thru the winter, so I will have to have it in a pot and cultivate it indoors.
So should I just keeping repotting it in a bigger pot? I have a sun room that will do for it in the winter, but I'm just not sure what the next step should be. Thanks!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've grow avocado plants in containers for several years. Just continue to up pot until the plants eventually is in a 3-5 gallon or bigger container. I've had to top my trees as one got about 10 feet tall. When moved to the house, with eight foot ceilings, the plant was cut back by about 1/3.

My plants are placed outside each spring through fall. They must be eased into the sunlight or the leaves will get scalded and drop. In the spring mine are place outside in full shade and are slowly moved into a sunny location.

Return to “All Other Fruit”