MetSox
Newly Registered

Strawberry Planting

Can anyone tell me if it's too late to plant strawberries from seed? If so, would it be wiser to go with a young plant? I've got Empress of India, Cosmos, spearmint, Lavender, White Knight, and millet, growing already - all flowering plants, minus the mint, heh. I've been wanting a fruit, is what I'm trying to say here, and figured strawberry might be good to start with, I've never grown fruit!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

You do need one thing to grow straws from seed.....patience.

They are much easier to grow useing young plants. That way you can get fruit on the year of planting and by year two those plants will be producing their own runners for further plantings.

Straws straight from the plant...still warm from the sun....delicious.

:?

applestar
Mod

Based on seed catalog write up and not on personal experience, you start strawberry plants from seed in mid January. There are varieties that will be blooming and fruiting by Mothers Day.

This seems to indicate that strawberries want cool temps in the beginning. They are certainly quite winter hardy as mature plants. That leads me to conjecture that even if you are successful in starting them from seed now, they may not have time to grow to sufficient size to withstand the winter depending on where you live in the Northern hemisphere.

I guess if you live in the Southern hemisphere, then this WOULD be the right season to start them.

MetSox
Newly Registered

Thank you both, Jona and Applestar. Being here in Maryland, it seems it would be much better to go ahead with a young plant, then, and perhaps start from seed in the coming January!

Thank you again!

Return to “All Other Fruit”