frankpeterson
Newly Registered

Indoor Cantaloupes

Hello

I am interested in doing cantaloupes inside in a closet. Is this possible ? I'm thinking a 400hps for lighting. Also there has to be a way to pollinate inside, I was hoping you people could help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

frankpeterson
Newly Registered

by the way the cantaloupes I will be doing are Heirloom CANTALOUPE Hales Best JUMBO. I want to do start to finish indoors. Cantaloupes over the winter months.

Thanks.

Frank

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Theoretically it is possible. Though, you won't have an insect to pollinate the plants for you and you will have to pollinate them yourself.

That isn't necessarily hard, just use a Q-Tip.

frankpeterson
Newly Registered

Thank you very much opabinia51,

When would be the appropiate time to start "Q-tipping" the cantaloupe plants? I plan to keep them in a vedgative state for 40 days. Is it possible to take cuttings from them? So I can reproduce the plant without having to re-plant the seed is this reccomended?

Thanks all

Frank

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've never heard of reproducing melons vegetatively. You can always try it and let us know how things turn out.

Personally, I prefer not to use vegetative reproduction as the offspring are just clones of the parent plant with no genetic or phenetic variability. However, if you use seeds; each plant will be slightly different from the parent plant and have the possibility of being resistant to disease, cold tolerant, heat tolerant, have better flavour(the melons) and so on.

Use the Q-tip to cross pollinate plants once the flowers appear. I think that melons have individual sexes so, you'll have to take the pollen from a male flower (plant) and cross that with the female flower.

Pollen is found on the Anthers (the male structure of the plant) and you need to dab this on the Style (the femaile structure of the plant).

Ask Franco about the sexes of melon plants, he did some research on it last summer.

(You can actually buy black q-tips that make pollinating a bit easier because you can see the pollen that much better. Try a local science shop like McGill and Orme or ...... I'm forgetting the other place that I go to.

frankpeterson
Newly Registered

Thanks alot,

The melons are in there veg state now under a 400 w hps and things are looking well. I'm excited.

frank

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are more than welcome.

frankpeterson
Newly Registered

I have started an indoor setup for my cantaloupes as it is now winter and I am impatient :lol: . I have setup a 400w hps lamp with an exhaust system and a fan to try and create the perfect enviroment for the cantaloupe. I have started the seeds in these pots for now just to see what comes up then I'll transplant it to a container. The cantalous is called Hales Best Jumbo and it takes 85 days outdoors to harvest. I'm not sure how long it will take inside but I'll keep them in a vedgetative state for 40 or so days.

I also plan on giving it some nutrients along the way but nothing for the first couple of weeks. Think I'm cantaloupe crazy? Or will this actually might work?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “All Other Fruit”