camelhive

Should I remove fruits from transplanted tree?

Hi,

I've recently transplanted a "fruit salad" tree, on which apricots, plums, peaches and nectarine were grafted. The nectarine and peach grafts already show slight sign of peach leaf curl, which I intend to treat for at the end of the season.

In the meanwhile, the peaches branch appear to have grown two fruits. My question: should I remove the fruits and let the tree put its energy into growing?

Thanks!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

The one problem with 'Family' trees is that some of the varieties can grow away much stronger than the others.
If you peach growth is as strong as the others then let it crop. If however the peach is more backward than the others then I would remove the fruit so that it is not slowed down further.

applestar
Mod

I'm still very new to care of peaches. My one tree is in its 3rd year and starting to fruit. So I only have questions:

There's nothing to be done about the peach leaf curl until season is over?
Won't it spread or invite other diseases or pests to the weakened area during the season? Pruning off affected branches is not recommended?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

If you can pick off infected leaves and burn them , that helps keep the spores from spreading Star.
The main purpose of the Copper Sulphate spray is to lay down a layer that kills any new spores that shouuld fall on it.
Like a lot of fungal sprays it has a far better protectant action than a curative one...as the spores of the fungus are easier to kill than the main infection.
One early protectant spray is often far better than half a dozen after the event.

Return to “All Other Fruit”