frillyann
Newly Registered

a bunch of stuff in my garden is dying,

We started a garden a few years ago with the usually veggies and flowers, we decided to put in some fruit trees since we have some room. Over the last 3 years we have had to replace a few trees each year. We contributed it to the lousy weather, it has been really wet around here. then I began to realize my lavender dies every year, and I can't get artichokes to grow and my roses don't do very well. (Mostly they die and I replace them) Everything else seems to do really well. Could there be something in the soil that is killing certain plants? Across town we were able to grow all those things so I don't think its the region. Any ideas? 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum fellow Washingtonian. :)

What are your soil conditions? Are this plants sitting in saturated soil?

My orchard has heavy clay soil and had standing water most winters. After installing berms and swales on contour, everything has done much better.

If you made a list of differences from one site to other, what would be the big ones?

Eric

frillyann
Newly Registered

we have great drainage, we do a lot of watering to keep things from drying out, interesting you mentioned clay, thats what we had before and brought in a bunch of different things to break it up, which seemed to work. So the drainage and the lack of clay would be the 2 biggest differences. Oh, and there are pine trees across the front of the lot. We had fir trees at the other.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the fruit trees, but all the other things you mentioned like full sun and hate to have water staying around their roots. You said you had evergreen trees across both yards, but maybe the direction is different this time, so that your plants are more shaded? But I would guess it is a drainage issue...

frillyann
Newly Registered

I can grow everything else, including tomatoes, strawberries & raspberries, the garden is in full sun and the area where the trees are is mostly sunny, I mentioned the pine trees because I thought maybe they added something to the soil that wasn't good. At the other property my lilacs didn't bloom until the fir trees in the neighbors yard were cut down, now they bloom like crazy! also the other difference is we have a mole, he is everywhere!

frillyann
Newly Registered

I forgot to mention I can rototill in January or February, just need one dry day. I know thats not normal for the PNW, so I don't really think its a drainage problem. I do appreciate you brainstorming with me. Thanx :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are the Fir trees and Pine trees natural or planted?

This maybe a indication of difference of environment. Fir trees wetter and pine trees dryer or possibly higher elevation. Thinking of western vs. eastern Washington. The PH is higher around pines vs firs but I'm not sure by how much.

Maybe just a little lime is needed??

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I saw the word "pine" and thought "acidic conditions." The soil may be too acidic for the plants to prosper. Find a reliable soil test and get the pH (acid/neutral/base) measurement. Local ag. extension can advise you; give them a call! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

frillyann
Newly Registered

the firs trees were natural, but the pine trees were planted as a screen across the property along the road, they are really ugly and I want to take them down, but they do serve their purpose as a screen against noise and and the 50 mph+ traffic out front, I'll start with some lime right away, and then figure out how to test the soil also. I'm not sure if these dying trees can be saved but maybe I can keep the rest from going. There are 18 trees of different fruits, thought it would be nice to have a variety, but they are getting to be a pain, lol. Thanx for the input, have a great gardening season!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Also look for Vole damage. They have taken a few fruit trees of mine over the years. They strip the bark and chew on roots just below the soil line.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

how are you prepping the soil and planting the trees.

frillyann
Newly Registered

I know we have moles and rabbits, we put tubing around the trunks to keep the rabbits from chewing, I don't know about voles....
@ Soil, we dug a big hole, put in tree and shrub dirt from a bag and planted the trees, and each one is caged so the deer can't eat them,

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

put in tree and shrub dirt from a bag and planted the trees,
Now I'm curious what the native soil is like. If it is heavy and you are adding nice fluffy stuff to the planting hole, it's like grow a tree in a pot. Maybe the trees are root bound or sitting in water suffocating.

Eric

Return to “All Other Fruit”