FruitAddict
Cool Member

Do Blueberry need a Cross Polinater

Last year I planted 6 blueberry bushes, 3 each of 2 different varieties for cross polination and this spring only 1 variety seems to have made it through the winter - will I get any blueberries if I don't replace the different variety I lost over the winter? I've since lost my job and don't think I can afford to replace those 3 bushes right now and wondered if I don't replace the dead variety will I ever get blueberries?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I think that most blueberries will self pollinate, but will give a larger crop when planted with cross pollinators. It is very easy to make cutting of blueberry plants and those should produce withing two or three years. If you have a friend with a plant, why not take some cuttings. For me cuttings are especially easy in the spring of the year. Cut down to a node of seasoned wood. Remove all but a couple of leaves. It is best to dip in rooting hormone but not absolutely necessary. Stick the cuttings two or three inches deep into clean sand, peat moss, or sterile potting media. Set them in a shady spot and keep the plants constantly moist but not water logged. In a couple of weeks, if the cutting start to root, you should see fresh green growth. After a couple of months, you can probably move the cuttings to individual pots (mine are usually started in community pots). Most all shrubs a easy to propagate this way, and as I say, much easier in the early spring than any other time of the year, at least is the case for me.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon May 23, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

You will get a much better crop if they are cross pollinated.
I wouldn't sweat it though, there probably other blueberry plants in your neighborhood. I lucked out with hundreds of wild blueberries around.

Return to “All Other Fruit”