wordwiz
Green Thumb

Ordered the rest of my fruit trees

My cherry trees were getting lonely and since it is too wet to work in the garden, decided I might as well get a jump on next year and get the other fruit trees started. I'm on the border of almost being too late, but because the trees will be in my yard and not someplace where caring for them becomes tedious, I figure I can supply them with all the water they need.

In addition to the Montmorency and Vandalay cherries, I just ordered Pristine and Dayton apple, Harglow Apricot and Avalon Peach. The plants should be here next week. The apples are semi-dwarf, the apricot and peach dwarf.

Mike

soil
Greener Thumb

enjoy the new trees, I just got 2 apples, 2 peaches and another cherry just because they were only 10$ each. even though I already have over 20 fruit/nut trees.

you cant ever have too much food growing at your place. fruit trees are nice because they only require care for the first few years.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Wow, where'd you get them for 10 bucks?

I just ordered 1 peach, 1 pear, and 1 plum (I was going to order a nectarine but since it didn't start with p I had to go with the peach!) from starkbros. They were on sail with free delivery but not $10!

soil
Greener Thumb

just a random local store, they get the extras from a huge tree nursery that's not too far from here. they only get them once a year and they go fast.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Mine came from Raintree and they were, on average, ~$16.50 each. But the last trees I bought from them were 5' tall, with several branches, not 1-3' trees. They also use extremely good rootstocks, most of which are patented, which adds 50¢-$1 per plant.

There are web sites that normally sell the trees for $10 or so - I reviewed them. Long story short - paid more, got much better trees.

Mike

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

pristine's a good early-season apple, but as could be expected from such a thing, they don't keep for nothin'.

soil
Greener Thumb

wordwiz if I was going to buy trees online I would not be going for the cheap ones. I have purchased from raintree before and my plants were great.

fact is I already have more than enough fruit trees than I really need, but cant help myself to buying some more when I see a deal. 50$ now will be 500$+ worth of fruit in a few years, every single year until I die with good care. I was able to choose the trees I wanted, the ones I got last year at the same place are doing great and should give a good crop next year.

applestar
Mod

!potatoes! wrote:pristine's a good early-season apple, but as could be expected from such a thing, they don't keep for nothin'.
My little espalier-in-training Pristine produced 4 apples last year -- ready to pick two at a time. None of them made it to the kitchen when I sent my two DD's to pick them. LOL. short-keeper is NO PROBLEM! :lol:

Return to “All Other Fruit”