Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Fairfax strawberries

Ruth Stout and other older gardening enthusiasts mention Fairfax as the most delicious variety ever, but a search online didn't bring me any results in terms of buying them anywhere. I know, that strawberries are almost always grown as clones to ensure true taste, and as clones they don't stay healthy for very long, so maybe Fairfax doesn't exist anymore, and I have to try Ogallala, Ozark, and Sparkle - they all havew some Fairfax in their genes. If I could find true Fairfax, I would love to try it. Any ideas? :?:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Joyfirst wrote:Ruth Stout and other older gardening enthusiasts mention Fairfax as the most delicious variety ever, but a search online didn't bring me any results in terms of buying them anywhere. I know, that strawberries are almost always grown as clones to ensure true taste, and as clones they don't stay healthy for very long, so maybe Fairfax doesn't exist anymore, and I have to try Ogallala, Ozark, and Sparkle - they all havew some Fairfax in their genes. If I could find true Fairfax, I would love to try it. Any ideas? :?:
I found this link online: [url=https://www.thestrawberrystore.com/buyplants/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=189]The Strawberry Store.[/url] I can't tell, though, by reading the description whether or not this is the Fairfax. I think it is.

Unfortunately, they don't ship to your state (or most others) because of a Japanese beetle infestation. In fact, it appears that they don't ship to most states in the western half of the United States. The only way you could get them would be to have an Eastern friend buy them and then covertly mail them to you. That is probably irresponsible, though.

Even better would be to gift an Eastern friend with them and then have that friend ship you starts next year. I don't know much about the Japanese beetle, but that might take care of the problem.

I hope this helps!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Thank you so much - so they do exist. I need to think about someone on the east- I don't really know anyone who gardens there...Right now they are not available, but they might be in the fall. Well, it says, that if you wash them and send them bareroot, it would be legal. :D

strawberryguy
Newly Registered

I don't know if anyone in this thread is still interested but I do indeed have Fairfax. I have very limited numbers right now as I'm rooting runners.

It is true that shipping to the Western U.S. is difficult because of Japanese beetle quarantine. The work around is not to get an eastern friend to covertly send plants. The legal way is to ship the plants bare root. Wash the soil off the roots, wrap in a moist paper towel and put in a plastic bag with a rubber band. I shipped many many plants of other types that way. Make sure and ship via Priority Mail. They won't last long enough to be shipped any slower. When received, immediately rehydrate and put in protected shaded area. Plant in soil asap and keep moist.

If you are interested in plants, visit this page: https://alpinestrawberryplants.com/heirl ... d-fairfax/. It is a waiting list and when plants are ready all who are subscribed will be notified.

One added note. This spring is the first time I tasted fruit from Fairfax. The claims of it being the best tasting strawberry ever bred is without a doubt true. Very mild, very low acid. Impossible to describe and impossible to forget once you've tasted.

Mike Wellik
Owner
The Strawberry Store, LLC
Middletown, DE
U.S.A.

Return to “All Other Fruit”