Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This must be the year of the Mulberry

I went for a 20 mile bicycle ride this morning at the Greenway all the Mulberry trees are loaded. The asphalt bike path has a very large purple spot under every tree. I have never seen this many Mulberries in the past 20 years. I think if a person put a large tarp under each tree they could get a gallon of berries from each tree every day. They sure do look good and they taste good too.

applestar
Mod

That's funny you said that. Just yesteday, DD9 and I were looking over the garden and whenI pointed out the green mulberries developing on the tree, she immediately said "When they're ready to pick, we spread the white cloths (floating covers) under the tree so the mulberries don't get lost in the grass, right?" 8)

Yep! that's what we do! This also prevents the ants from finding them first! :wink:

thanrose
Greener Thumb

My sister in Jacksonville, zone 9a, has a good mulberry that fruited heavily this year, too. I know there are mast years for oaks with acorns, but this is the first year I've seen it with mulberries. I like mulberries; just haven't noticed a prolific output in general before.

My sister, OTOH, said "they are poisonous because the snappers eat them," the logic of which escapes me. I ate a few straight from the tree to provide an example, and told her to lay down some tarps and shake the branches. No doubt she forgot almost immediately.

I've been eating them for 45 years, at least. Of course, back in the day I also nibbled on the leaves which are reportedly mildly hallucinogenic. Explains much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like mulberries, but so do all the other critters. Not many of ours actually make it to the ground. I never knew groundHOGs could climb trees. I never see them off the ground any other time except when the mulberries are ripening. Then they magically discover their tree climbing skills. When the whole mulberry tree starts shaking, we know the groundhog is up there, gorging on mulberries. And of course the birds, squirrels and raccoons, perhaps possums too, though I haven't seen that.

Mulberries don't hit the ground much, but lots of purple poop around!

soil
Greener Thumb

our mulberry tree is loaded with maturing fruits. hundred and hundreds of them. cant wait until they are done.

since it was mentioned the oak tree here are having an amazing year as well, I expect a bumper crop of acorns this year.

Runningtrails

I have a black mulberry bush, new. It's was only about 2' tall last year. I can't wait for it to get big! I'm looking forward to making mulberry wine!

I'd love a white and red mulberry, as well!

Return to “All Other Fruit”