TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Growing Mangos/Mangoes in Los Angeles?

Has anyone here experience growing (or attempting to grow) mangos in the Los Angeles area? I've germinated many a seed in water, and even gotten a few of them potted and grown to about 24" high, but then I take them outside and they die. But I haven't taken very good care of them outside, either. I'd like to try again, but only if I've a chance at success.

I live on the side of a canyon with a very mild climate. Summers average low 80's during the day and mid-60s at night. Winters average mid-60's during the day and very seldom dip below 50 at night.

I'm really only interested in the Indian type of mango (I.e. the green/green-red/green-purple egg-shaped cultivars), especially Kents, and not the oblong, yellow Philippine type. Nothing personal against those mangos :D, I just vastly prefer the Indian ones. The Philippine mango trees are occasionally available at my local nursery, so if they tolerate similar climes as the Indians that's a good sign.

My parents' yard (20 minutes towards the ocean, and generally ~5 degrees cooler) has a passion fruit vine that's about to eat the house, so there's precedent for other tropicals doing well in this area. And there's an avocado tree doing wonderfully just down my own canyon. Do these have similar tastes in weather?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

According to Sunset's Western Garden Book, mangoes will grow in Sunset's climate zones 23 and 24 with favorable sun exposure. (Also climate zones H1 and H2, but these are Hawaii-specific.)

Sunset zones 23 and 24 are found in some areas of Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties, but you would need to look in the book itself--not the online "map," which is highly inaccurate--to determine your Sunset climate zone.

The books are almost everywhere: nurseries, hardware stores that carry plants, book stores, public libraries, etc.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:According to Sunset's Western Garden Book, mangoes will grow in Sunset's climate zones 23 and 24 with favorable sun exposure. (Also climate zones H1 and H2, but these are Hawaii-specific.)

Sunset zones 23 and 24 are found in some areas of Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties, but you would need to look in the book itself--not the online "map," which is highly inaccurate--to determine your Sunset climate zone.
Thanks! I just ordered it, used, from Amazon for $6 :)

The [url=https://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/sunset-climate-zone-los-angeles-area-00418000067298/]online map[/url] shows that my house is right on the border between 23 and 24. I'm just below the dot for "Rolling Hills" on the zoomed-in map. I'm probably half the height of that capital H below the dot. So unless the map is horribly inaccurate, I'm definitely in 23/24, and from the Sunset description I guess is I'm more of a 23 because we don't get any marine layer in the mornings. We're on the inland side of the hill, and we're in a little canyon that empties out towards LA, not towards the ocean.

I get pretty good southern exposure for most of the garden area.

Any tips on how to grow these? :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The part of the online map that I could see matches the book very well. Parts of mountainous northern California, the Puget Sound Area, and other mountain/sea areas (British Columbia) are brutally "simplified" in the online version, and people wonder why they can't get X to succeed, when it's supposed to grow in Sunset climate zone so-and-so.... :x

As to getting mangoes to succeed, I know there's at least one thread, maybe two, around here on germinating mango seeds, but if you really want fruit in your own lifetime, go around to local independent nurseries and ask them where *they* would purchase a fruiting mango tree of the varieties you're interested in. The only place I've seen the Indian-style mangoes for sale in the Bay Area are the Ranch 99 Markets; pretty funny, since they came into being to serve Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese customers rather than those from India. But now, Ranch 99 is almost mainstream up here; if there are any Ranch 99 or similar markets in SoCal, see if the mangoes are imported or locally grown. That might give you a lead as well.

Also farmers' markets....

I fell in love with mangoes when I was a kid in Panama. The trees were so numerous and so productive that I could ride my bike around base and off-base in the Canal Zone, stand on the pedals, and just pick the mangoes, filling my bike basket. It turned out that I was the *only* member of the family who liked them. This was pretty special, since I was the oldest of four kids at the time (five, later) and both my parents were with us, too. Having all those mangoes to myself, picking them, selecting them for ME...it's hard to describe.

But beware the warning in Sunset. As much as I love mangoes, I have to wash my hands and arms *immediately* after peeling them, or else I break out in a terribly itchy rash. My next sister won't eat mangoes for fear that she'll break out "inside"--but she never even tried them. Wimp. My second sister *does* break out on her mouth if she eats them. She did try. :( Don't know about my brother.

My parents just hated anything "weird." :roll:

Watch out, then, in case you or someone in the house is subject to the rash caused by the oils/juice on the skin.

Cynthia

applestar
Mod

When you say you take them outside and then they die -- are they still in their pots? Do you harden them off slowly? I noticed they sunburn pretty easily.

I have one 3rd year seedling tree (a little over 2 ft I guess, but soon to be taller since it's been leafing out now). I put it outside along with potted avocado seedling trees after all danger of frost and things warm up a bit, but slowly, starting in shade and eventually ending up in an area that gets morning sun, mid-day shade, and some afternoon sun but not quite until sunset.

I have 2 more mango seedlings that just sprouted with I think at least one more on the way -- the soil is pushing up. 8)

I have a fair amount of experience with potted avocado seedlings but this is the extent of my experience with mangoes and definitely none in-ground.

Hopefully, Lorax from Ecuador will come by and give you some pointers. I remember there is at least one other member that posted about growing mangoes in Florida and posted photos. You might want to try "search the forum"

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:[If] you really want fruit in your own lifetime, go around to local independent nurseries and ask them where *they* would purchase a fruiting mango tree of the varieties you're interested in. The only place I've seen the Indian-style mangoes for sale in the Bay Area are the Ranch 99 Markets; pretty funny, since they came into being to serve Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese customers rather than those from India. But now, Ranch 99 is almost mainstream up here; if there are any Ranch 99 or similar markets in SoCal, see if the mangoes are imported or locally grown. That might give you a lead as well.
Ah. I have a 99 Ranch just up the street from my office. I'll see if they have anything, as I do recall them selling fruit trees from time to time.
I fell in love with mangoes when I was a kid in Panama. The trees were so numerous and so productive that I could ride my bike around base and off-base in the Canal Zone, stand on the pedals, and just pick the mangoes, filling my bike basket. It turned out that I was the *only* member of the family who liked them. This was pretty special, since I was the oldest of four kids at the time (five, later) and both my parents were with us, too. Having all those mangoes to myself, picking them, selecting them for ME...it's hard to describe.
My mother spent a year living in Vietnam as a child, and whenever I tell her that I got a really good mango, she tells me "Oh, you don't know what a really good mango tastes like until you've had one ripe from the tree . . . ." I'd like to verify this in person!

I spent a summer living with my cousins in Honolulu, and the local custom there is that if the fruit is on your tree or in your yard, it's yours, but once it's fallen onto the ground and rolled off your property, it's fair game. The six of us (3 sibling and 3 cousins) all chipped in to run the family paper route, so we'd throw newspapers out from our bags and put passion fruit and avocados back in.

But the mangos were still a month from ripening, so I'd just watch them with envious eyes.
But beware the warning in Sunset. As much as I love mangoes, I have to wash my hands and arms *immediately* after peeling them, or else I break out in a terribly itchy rash.
We eat mangoes regularly, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone, but thanks for the warning.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:When you say you take them outside and then they die -- are they still in their pots? Do you harden them off slowly? I noticed they sunburn pretty easily.
Wow. You're not kidding! I potted my seedling and put it outside without any hardening, and the existing six leaves burned. They're not dead, but they're not so happy right now.

Fortunately the plant is putting out three new leaves, so I'm hopeful that they'll be accustomed to the environment they're growing into.

I find it surprising that a tropical plant would suffer from sunburn!

soil
Greener Thumb

when I lived in southern california years ago. there was a big giant mango tree about a mile from my house. and I mean giant. like 40-50ft across and 40 ft tall. I would put seedlings in the dappled shade for a few years before putting them in full sun.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:when I lived in southern california years ago. there was a big giant mango tree about a mile from my house. and I mean giant. like 40-50ft across and 40 ft tall. I would put seedlings in the dappled shade for a few years before putting them in full sun.
Ooooohhhhhh. Can you see [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38338]my other thread[/url] about my failed pilgrimage to see a fruiting tree in So Cal?

I'd love to get the address (or approximate location) of "your" mango tree. :)

soil
Greener Thumb

not sure if its still there, this was over 10 years ago.

but I can tell you its possible. just baby them early on.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:not sure if its still there, this was over 10 years ago.
Hmmm. Do you remember approximately where it was?

soil
Greener Thumb

ill do one better, ill call someone who still lives down there to see if its still there.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I owe you a beer. <beer>

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

So, three years later, I'll finally update everyone on this. Back in April I started searching the web again, and I stumbled upon Plant-O-Gram. They had Kent and Keitt trees available, and these are my favorite varieties.

I bought one of each, for $50 plus $50 shipping (e.g. total of $200 :shock:):

I put them in the ground shortly after:

The Keitt came with a panicle, but it died shortly after I received it. They sat around doing a lot of nothing for a month or so, but then they starting putting out new leaves:

The Keitt even put out a new panicle and got pollinated:

Right now I have 4 remaining fruit, each about the size of an Oreo. Fingers crossed!

p.s. since then I've found a local source for mango trees, So Cal Plant Breeders. I've not bought anything from them, but the proprietor seems very knowledgable, and I can pick up $50 trees without paying $50/each for shipping. I'm thinking of adding a Valencia Pride.

applestar
Mod

You are SO lucky to have the chance to have fruiting trees.
Please keep us posted. I admit I completely forgot about this thread, but I'd love to see them fruit!

Here's my bigger mango now just to show you :D
image.jpg
Mango is in the back with bigger leaves. One of my
avos in the front. ...oh look at that, you can barely see
the little mango in the background to the right.

imafan26
Mod

With the climate you described mango should do fine outside year round. Mangoes prefer hot dry mircro-climates. They do not like cold or wet.

In Hawaii where mangoes used to be ubiquitous (alas not anymore as houses and yards have gotten a lot smaller and some HOA's will not allow any fruit trees in the front yard or any tree over 15 ft tall), mangoes grow best in the lower elevations that are drier like the leeward side of the islands. Mangoes in higher elevations like Wahiawa 800-1200 ft and other places like Mauna Kea and Haleakala you would be hard pressed to find a bearing mango tree or any mango tree for that matter. There are some mango trees in Wahiawa. They tend to be large shade trees and will only bear fruit in warm years. Pretty much Wahiawa residents will trade litchi for mango. A good litchi year has a colder winter and a good mango year has a warm winter.

If you start your mango from seed it will take about 5 years to fruit. Mango are like avocadoes some are good and some are not. If you get your tree to grow and you find a scion from a good tree you might want to try to graft one of the branches.

One of the most popular home trees are the Haden mango. It has large round fruit. Pirie is a good mango but not a very productive tree. It is pricey because of that. Common mangoes are small and not so common any more but they made the best pickle mango. Rapozas have large heavy fruit. There are other varieties but, these are the only ones I come across regularly.

This is a publication about growing mangoes in Hawaii but it may still have some useful tips for you.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HC-2.pdf

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

applestar, I gave that exact same copper sprinkler/spinner to my Mom for Mother's Day a few years ago!

imafan, thanks for the tips. I'll read them carefully. Keitt and Valencia Pride are supposed to grow well here in So Cal, and the So Cal Breeders company is supposed to have selected only varieties that do well here. I don't know about Kent, but it's putting out lots of new leaves right now, so it's not unhappy.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Those photos are a few weeks old. I took a picture of one of my three remaining Keitt fruit yesterday:

This is the largest of the three (the others all dropped off or got eaten :(), and it's about the size of a flattened duck egg. The other two (visible in the background) are about hen-egg-sized. Two of them have been pecked :x , which is why they're bleeding sap.

I just bought a box of mangos from 99 Ranch, and they had giant Keitts from Mexico, 5 to a box, and they're nearly the size of an ostrich egg! I'd be happy if mine get half that size. Actually, I don't even care about size as long as they taste good.

applestar
Mod

Looks like you will need to "cage" these as well. Time to put on the ol' thinking cap!

adeliverygirl
Newly Registered

Hi! I'm wondering if you had any luck with those three mangoes. I saw on pinterest that you can use plastic clam shells (similar to the ones strawberries are pack in) to place around your mango to protect it as it grows. I'm sure cutting a small part of the plastic to allow for the growing stem might be helpful as well.

I'm in Alhambra and my young manila mango tree has many blossoms. So I'm looking for tips to make this actually happen.

Return to “All Other Fruit”