gilnv
Newly Registered

Edible Grape leaf types? ?

Hi all,

I would like to plant some Grape vines and wonder what types would have tender leaves for eating.

I live near Lake Superior and I wouldn't care much about fruit quality or fruit quantity.

Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated, Gil.

P.S. I suspect that there aren't any Grape vines developed for the purpose of having more edible leaves. Grapes are probably just developed for bigger fruit, tastier fruit, hardier fruit. But I don't really know.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi gilnv.
Any grape leaf is edible...but they are best picked in the early summer before they get to tough and old.
Remember also to check what has been sprayed on to them.
We usually use the leaves that are growing on the new vine that is growing that year.......the old spur leaf seem to get tough very quickly.
Stuffed Vine-leaf....delish.!!

gilnv
Newly Registered

JONA878 wrote:Hi gilnv.
We usually use the leaves that are growing on the new vine that is growing that year.......the old spur leaf seem to get tough very quickly.
Stuffed Vine-leaf....delish.!!
Hi Jona and thanks for the reply,
I just read in a wild foraging book that the wild 'V. aestivalis' tasted better and less astringent than 'V. riparia', so when I get a catalog or look to buy some grape plants, I'll look to see if 'V. aestivalis' is available.
In my area, the only time I've nibbled on wild young grape leaves they were V. riparia and tasted a bit bitter.

Norton (Cynthiana) and Black Spanish are two varieties of V. aestivalis according to Wikipedia. So I may look for those.

P.S. I like to eat more raw foods than most people and often make 'green smoothies' by blending grapes, apple, banana, and some kale or romaine lettuce. So I could easily put some young grape leaves in there because the fruit adds enough sweetness that a little bitterness of greens isn't a problem.

The photo I saw of V.aestivalis leaf looked a bit more lobed than most grape leafs so maybe I won't be able to use them for wrapping stuff, I love raw collard greens for wraps.
Thanks again, Gil

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, Just saw this. We grow grape vines for the leaves. We raise Tomasian: Thompson seedless.

Richard

Return to “All Other Fruit”