Aya

Blueberry Maturation Question

This is my first year trying to grow Blueberries. (I'm in the Seattle area). I bought a bare root plant and put it in a 15 or 20 gallon container. It has a bunch of new growth and cute little leaves. I've read that they don't produce fruit the first year, but when can I expect it to produce fruit? It is a thorn less self pollinating variety if that helps..

applestar
Mod

Your saying "thornless" is giving me a pause... blueberries don't have thorns. Do you mean BLACKberry?

Aya

I mean blueberry. I think I was reading my blackberry tag that my puppy so thoughtfully left in my blueberry container. Lol - I'll be sure and double check the plant next time :roll:

nickiadkins
Newly Registered

Most fruiting bushes or trees take at least 3 years to fruit. Blueberry's are one of the pickiest bushes in my garden. They like the soil acidic. I bought 5 gallon containers of developed blueberry bushes and still took a couple of years to take off. I still would advise buying 2 bushes. Most fruit trees will have better fruit with more than one variety. I will be taking some pics of my blueberry's soon on my website blog. Fyi: you may want to label it to help you remember what variety you have. :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most blueberry plants will produce a better crop if two or more varieties are planted. Also, put some peat moss or something to bring the soil pH down to around 4. I ordered blueberry plants from Raintree Nursery, one of my favorite mail order nurseries, this year. I also have many mature plants. Two or three of the plants ordered this year are blooming and will have fruit. So it really depends upon the size of the new plant as to how long it takes to fruit. I think that with blueberry plants, I've almost always gotten a few berries by the second year. I have several plants growing in large containers and also have about a dozen plants growing in the ground. To me blueberry plants are one of the most carefee, easy to grow fruiting plants. Mine have almost no disease, are bothered by almost no pests, and even the squirrels and birds only take a small part of the harvest. One thing that I really like about blueberries is that by carefully selecting the right varieties, a person can have fruit from late spring all the way into the fall.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Aya

I was looking through Territorial Seed Company's catalog for this year and saw "Pink Lemonade" blueberries, I'd like to try some of those!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

For some reason there is nothing appealing to me about a PINK 'blue' berry. I saw a listing somewhere this spring and definitely decided to pass on that one. To each his/her own, but I love the color or those intensely blue fruits on my plants. Plus I'm wondering if the lack of pigment in the pinks might also represent a lack of antioxidants or other beneficial nutrient. Anyway I'll pass for now, but do let us know if the berries have some special flavor or trait that makes them worthy of a buy. The novelty factor is just not working for me.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”