sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

mulching strawberries question

First year doing strawberries and I just put them in a few days ago. So, I read that I need to mulch well. so, we're low on funds since I've exhausted my garden fund LOL! so, I have access to a pine chips pile that the local tree place that cuts trees and branches hanging into the road etc, dumps into a large pile and you can get them for free. are those ok to use? or do I need something different such as straw? or is there anything else I can use that is free or dirt cheap?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would assume that there are pine needles mixed in also. I think that is the best for strawberries and I use it. If the needles are green watch out for excess heat. Mine have turned brown now after several weeks ago when the tree was ground up! I like the pine mix for all kinds of things!

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I think I don't mulch until the fruits start to turn color. Keeping the soil exposed heats it up and gets them growing faster. I have some that are making hard green berries right now, and have a pile of straw standing by.

A bale of straw goes a long way and the prices should be coming down by now. Try calling a few feed stores and farm supply stores. I have a couple of farms that I can get direct for a couple of dollars less too.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, so this is the first year... so should I not mulch at all then? what about the weeds? also, should I be trying to make it hot for them? I can do a row cover if I need to be doing that.

straw... the only place I have found straw so far is at the feed store and it is like $9 a bale or something crazy like that. I could see if my neighbors still have bales of rye.

do you mulch in between the rows or all around or what? and do you have to unmulch it in the spring to let the plants spread?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Strawberries will branch out even in the mulch as long as it is not too dry and deep! Find some pine trees and rake the top soil or even dig the first 6 inches into a pile and use that.Old pine trees have a foot of soil under them and its great! You can even strain out the big stuff in the mix!
+++
This past week I got 8 bg 50 pound bags of mulch from my friends pine tree that was cut and ground up. I dug around the tree and filled 8 bags with a dark brown loom and there was enough for 10 more bags! I spred the pine mulch all over my garden and doug it under and even mixed it with strained top soil I mixed for some of my plant transfer to containers!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

how deep/thick should I apply the mulch?

Runningtrails

I use shredded computer paper for garden mulch. It's free. I pick it up at the side of the road in the commercial/industrial area of town on recycle pick up day. It's a wood based product. It looks a little odd because it's so white, but it works well!

The little stuff works best. The big stuff just blows around.
I need to mulch my strawberries soon. I'm just waiting to accumulate enough mulch (It's a very big bed).

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

hm thats a good idea!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

re-thinking going back and getting more of those pine chips.....

today I saw a few flowers on the plants. I got the varieties mixed up, so I pinched off some of the flowers. I know some are the everbearing type... but I"m supposed to pinch flowers the first year on at least the june bearing, correct?

Return to “All Other Fruit”