Vorguen

Self Pollinating - Fruit / Seed Hypothesis

Okay, a hypothesis that (mind you a complete Gardening noob) I came up with was...

If starting fruit trees from seed from grocery store purchased fruit...

You have a significantly higher possibility of getting the same good fruit that you bought in the grocery store if the plant is a self-pollinating plant, right?

I am basing this assumption on the decreased possibility of pollination from nearby plants that aren't the same exact one, and the fact that they can produce identicals by pollinating themselves.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

sounds like a good hypothesis. just keep in mind that some plants that will self-pollinate frequently cross anyway in smaller, more organic, and more diverse growing situations (generally not things you'll find at the grocery store)...since those situations frequently have more pollinators in general, mixin' it up.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

also keep in mind that grocery store bought fruits and home dried seeds, will generally not turn into what you bought at the store. those fruits are engineered to be that way and the child fruit born from the seed/s saved will not be near like the parent...but still just as good and tasty as they have been home grown though and also this also rings true as the store fruits and veggies are practically always hibrids and not true to the actually veggies or fruits breed so to speak.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Self-fertile flowers are referred to as "perfect", and although they can, and sometimes do, pollinate themselves, they just as frequently are pollinated by other plants in the same genus. Those other plants need not be the exact same variety as the self-fertile plant, just genetically compatible. If the pollen comes from a plant of a different variety, then the fruit will be different from that which produced the seed you planted. It will display a combination of the traits of the two parent plants. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Grocery store varieties are usually hybrids. Hybrids do not grow true to parents from seeds no matter what.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”